Here’s a tasty way to get your sea vegetables. Hijiki seaweed is a delicious nutrient-dense superfood, high in fiber, enzymes, amino acids, vitamins A, B, C, D, E, and K. Especially Vitamin K is critical, as it’s the single vitamin almost all of us are lacking!
Grated carrots, sesame, ginger and lime compliment hiziki’s rich, nutty flavor. Serve this versatile salad alone, on a bed of greens, or over zoodles! Store for up to 4 days in the refrigerator. Serves 4.
- 1/4 cup dried hijiki seaweed
- 1 cup warm water to cover
- 2 limes or lemons, peeled, sliced, and seeded
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 heaping teaspoon unprocessed salt to taste, and some pepper
- 1 1/2 inches fresh ginger root
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos (or more)
- 1 small clove garlic (optional)
- 3 tablespoons sweetener such as Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or 1 ½ teaspoons PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 2 tablespoons raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.
- 2 carrots, coarsely grated
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- Put the dried hijiki in a small bowl, and pour warm water over it. Allow it to sit and expand for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, blend the dressing.
- Add all dressing ingredients to any small blender or food processor. Process until smooth.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the carrots, green onions, and soaked hiziki. Pour the dressing over and mix well.
- Serve on a bed of baby spinach or zoodles.