Quick to make, high in protein, low in carbs, this easy “cake in a cup” makes a nourishing breakfast for one. Just whisk together the batter when you wake up, layer, and bake. By the time you get dressed and check your email messages, your breakfast is served. Enjoy it plain or with Instant Coconut Whipped Cream. Hi-protein egg and almond meal make this a protein powerhouse that will balance your energy all morning. If you use one of the non-glycemic sweeteners suggested, you’ll have no risk of blood sugar rush or weight gain.
As you know, blueberries are one of the world’s highest anti-oxidant foods. Like other berries, blueberries reduce DNA damage, which is said to protect against aging and cancer. For a high-nutrition boost, try this recipe with wild blueberries! Makes one 12-oz. cobbler. Serves one. Enjoy!
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen, thawed, and well drained
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped nuts such as almonds or walnuts, soaked and toasted, if possible Sweetener is optional, 1 to 2 tablespoons sweetener such as Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or 1/2 teaspoon PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 2 teaspoons raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk, almond milk, or filtered water
- 1 tablespoon pure olive oil or melted coconut oil
- A dash of vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- A pinch of unprocessed salt
- 1/3 cup almond meal
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- About 2 tablespoons sweetener to taste. Half brown sweetener is delicious in this recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Get out a 12-ounce, oven-proof cup, cereal bowl, or ramekin. Add the blueberry filling ingredients: Blueberries, lemon juice, cinnamon, nuts, and sweetener. Stir well and press into the bottom of the cup
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, oil, vanilla, cinnamon, salt, almond meal, baking soda, and sweetener.
- Pour the batter over the fruit in your cup.
- Place the cup on a baking tray, and bake 18 to 25 minutes. Cool and enjoy!
2 Replies to "Paleo Gluten-free Blueberry Cobbler in a Cup"
Christy Canale April 16, 2023 (9:55 am)
I thought that heating olive oil destroyed the health benefits?
Jane Barthelemy April 16, 2023 (10:42 pm)
Hi Christy, Thanks for your question. I know that heating anything above a certain critical temperature destroys its health benefits. But I’ve never heard that baking destroys olive oil’s health benefits. I guest I can’t answer that question specifically. It might depend on the type of olive oil and how hot the internal temperature. Maybe you can discover that and let us know? BTW I do not use commercial olive oil these days because it is often blended with cheap GMO oils, which are very harmful to health. I prefer Artisan olive oils, which are not easy to find. The oil in this recipe needs to be liquid, so I suggested pure olive oil or melted coconut oil. Thanks again and best wishes for your delicious health! Jane