Julia Child never dreamed of a soufflé this easy! Just blend and bake, no egg whites to beat. And Ohhh! The flavor! Rich, creamy and yes, VERY chocolaty. When I served it, a hush came over the room – a good sign! I discovered that a blender makes a fine soufflé, so I put away my egg beater. This soufflé is not only easy, it’s guilt-free, gluten-free, grain-free, GMO-free, sugar-free, and dairy-free. Even better, it’s super-low in the carbs that cause weight gain, especially if you use one of the zero-glycemic natural sweeteners suggested. Pure unsweetened cacao is a nutrient-dense superfood with more antioxidants, polyphenols, and flavanols than almost any other food. Added sugar makes chocolate high-glycemic and problematic for many people. This healthy chocolate soufflé could be a nutritious snack! A soufflé is fluffiest and most beautiful when it’s served piping hot out of the oven. If you’re making it for dessert, you can blend it before dinner and leave it in the blender. Then 20 minutes before dessert time, blend it briefly, pour into cups, and bake. So you can bring it to the table hot and hear everyone’s gasps of pleasure and admiration. This recipe makes two generous 8 oz. cups. If you double the recipe it will make four 8-oz. cups, or six 6-oz. cups. Enjoy!
- 1/4 cup thick coconut milk, such as Native Forest organic Full-fat coconut milk
- 3 large eggs, preferably at room temperature
- 1/4 cup coconut butter (or weigh 57 grams if it's hard)
- 2/3 cup sweetener to taste such as Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or 5 teaspoons PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 1/2 cup raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.
- 1/4 cup pure cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon organic decaffeinated coffee powder such as Mt. Hagen (optional for a hint of mocha flavor)
- 2-4 tablespoons lukewarm water, if needed to blend.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease two 8 oz baking cups with coconut oil. Place the cups in a shallow baking pan. Heat 2-3 cups of water to boil.
- Place all the ingredients into any blender. Blend well. Pour into cups.
- Open the oven and pull out the oven rack a bit. Place dish with cups into the oven. Pour about 1-inch of hot water into the shallow baking pan. Push rack in gently and bake 18 - 22 minutes.
- Remove from oven (carefully to not spill hot water). Serve immediately.