You don’t have to be Keto to love this cake! A fluffy nourishing snack, this easy mug cake is the smoothest and tastiest I’ve ever tried. The secret to its delicate texture is almond meal and whole egg. This cake won’t raise your blood sugar if you use one of the zero carb sweeteners suggested. Yay! It tastes even better with Instant Coconut Whipped Cream.
The Ketogenic diet helps your body burn fat as fuel instead of carbs. The Keto diet is growing in popularity – high in fat, adequate in protein, and low in carbohydrates. Keto ratios are about 60-75% of calories from fat, 15-30% from protein, and 5-10% from carbs. This recipe is also Paleo, grain-free, gluten-free, low-carb, sugar-free, and Monsanto-free. Hooray!
Want to spike your cake with superfoods? Add a spoonful of almond butter, goji berries, hemp nuts, chopped nuts or maca powder to the batter. Or substitute 1 tablespoon of your favorite protein powder in place of the same amount of almond meal. Since nuking in a microwave annihilates precious nutrients, it’s worth taking the time to oven-bake. Here’s to your delicious health! Jane
Total 566 calories
Fat 46.3 g 416.7 74%
Protein 24.2 g 96.8 17%
Carbs 13.8 g 55.2 10%
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350º F. Place dry ingredients in a small measuring cup – almond meal, cacao, sweetener, cinnamon, salt, baking soda.
Step 2: Stir the dry ingredients together with a whisk or a spoon.
Step 3: In your baking cup, melt the oil or butter in the oven until barely warm but not hot. Add the egg and vanilla.
Step 4: Stir the wet ingredients together. Now dump the dry ingredients into this cup. Stir and bake 20 minutes!
Oooooh! Prepare yourself for a treat….
- 3 tablespoons almond meal or flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 3 tablespoons zero-carb sweetener (I used Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener. Or you could use 1 1/2 teaspoons PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson. You can use any sweetener you like, however the Keto diet requires a zero carb sweetener.
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch unprocessed salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons melted organic butter or coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Place the dry ingredients in a measuring cup. Mix with a whisk or spoon.
- In your baking mug, melt the oil or butter in the oven until barely warm but not hot. Add the egg and vanilla. Whisk them together.
- Pour the dry ingredients into your baking mug that contains the egg. Add any optional superfoods.
- Mix. Bake immediately for 20 minutes. If you like, top with Instant Coconut Whipped Cream!