Alive with flavor and life force, this pesto is an easy nutritional powerhouse you can enjoy in 2 minutes flat. It looks and tastes just like authentic Pesto Genovese, but it’s dairy-free with pumpkin seeds instead of pine nuts. For this vegan pesto, I used lemon juice and nutritional yeast to give a tangy parmesan taste. You’ll need a food processor. Pumpkin seeds are a true superfood loaded with a wide variety of healthy nutrients from magnesium to copper, protein and zinc. Basil is another anti-aging superfood rich in flavonoids that protect the body against free-radicals, and essential oils that stop pathogenic bacteria.
Try this pesto as a dip for veggies, or spread it on Gluten-Free Herb Crackers. Use it on Paleo Personal Pizza, or Zucchini Spaghetti. Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. You can even freeze it in an ice cube tray – then remove the cubes to a freezer storage bag. Makes 1 1/4 cups Pesto. Enjoy!
Throw all the ingredients into a food processor. Process and serve!
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves. That's a lot!
- 2/3 cup pumpkin seeds (Or walnuts, cashews, hemp, or pine nuts)
- 2 -3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (for parmesan cheese flavor)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (for tangy sharpness)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon unprocessed salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients to a food processor. Process until smooth. This may take a few minutes. Stop to stir the sides, and process again until it reaches your perfect desired smooth texture.
No Replies to "Paleo Pumpkin Seed Pesto"