This creamy frosting has the irresistible flavor of caramel apples. Kids love it, and it tastes delicious on everything, from Applesauce Cake to Gingerbread. Even better, it is instant! Just whip it up in a food processor and ice your cake. No cooking, no waiting. I use tart apples like Granny Smith, Pink Lady, or Fuji because they’re low in fructose sugars. This frosting pairs beautifully with Paleo Pumpkin Bread. Makes 2 1/2 cups, which is also enough for 12 cupcakes. Find more Paleo Desserts at my website PaleoDesserts.com!
- 1 tart apple, peeled, seeded and cut in chunks
- 1 2/3 cups Just Like Sugar Brown natural chicory root sweetener, or 5 tablespoon PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 1 cup raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 pinches unprocessed salt
- 1/4 teaspoon maple flavor
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon or lime juice
- 3/4 cup coconut oil, solid at room temperature
- In a food processor add the apple chunks. Process until it is liquefied to a soft mush.
- Add sweetener, cinnamon, vanilla, salt, maple, and lemon or lime juice. Process until it becomes a very smooth paste and the sweetener is completely dissolved.
- Spoon in the solid coconut oil in small chunks. Process until the oil is completely integrated and the frosting is smooth. That's it!
- Spread on your cake, cupcakes or cookies immediately.
- It is best to keep this frosting at room temperature and use it immediately. When chilled, it is too hard to spread. If that happens, just leave it out at room temperature for several hours to slowly warm to a soft, spreadable texture. Do not try to warm it, or the oil could separate and the frosting may become grainy.