So satisfying as a breakfast or snack, Pumpkin Bread is a comfort food any time of year. This is a low-carb, Paleo-style bread, so it’s grain-free, with natural, zero-sugar sweeteners. Try it with Spiced Chai Tea Latte or Paleo Hot Chocolate Mochaccino.
About Paleo sweeteners… I love honey, a true Paleo sweetener, however I don’t use it much because it is extremely high in sugar and carbs, much like cane sugar. Honey will give you a nice big blood sugar spike, and that’s not how I want to live. I stopped using Stevia when I discovered it is highly processed with chemicals, which is not Paleo at all. I occasionally use unprocessed green powdered stevia, however many people dislike its strong aftertaste. Here I’m using a new sweetener option called PureLo, made by Swanson. It’s a safe and natural sweetener made from Monk Fruit and is zero glycemic with zero calories, to give your blood sugar a break. (This is a REAL find!) PureLo is about 6x as sweet as sugar, and it tastes delicious. Another zero-carb sweetener is Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root. Or use your own favorite sweetener. Makes three 4.5 x 2.5-inch mini loaves; two 7 x 3-inch loaves; one 9 x 5-inch loaf; or a 9-inch square pan. A food processor is helpful but not required.
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 heaping teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- Coconut butter, 113 grams if hard, 1/2 cup if soft. (If mixing by hand soften it by placing the container in a bowl of hot water)
- 3 large eggs (See The Best Eggs are Pasture-raised Organic)
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- Zest of 1 orange
- 2/3 cup cooked fresh pumpkin or squash pulp, about 165 grams
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon maple flavor
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- About 3/4 cups sweetener to taste such as Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or 2 tablespoons PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 1/2 cup raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.
- 1 1/4 cups nuts such as walnuts or pecans (See All About Nuts)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking pan with parchment paper that hangs over the edges like handles.
- In a food processor or mixing bowl, add almond meal, baking soda, salt, and spice. Process well. Add coconut butter, and mix well to a paste.
- To the mixture, add eggs, almond butter, zest, pumpkin, vanilla, maple, vinegar, and sweetener.
- Pulse in the nuts briefly and pour batter into the lined pan.
- Bake mini loaves 20 to 22 minutes, 7 x 3-inch pans 35 to 45 minutes, 9 x 5-inch pan 40 to 50 minutes, 9-inch square pan 25 to 35 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 1 hour. Chill 1 hour for easy slicing.