These luscious bars came to me in a dream. So I HAD to try them! A fantasy in warm red raspberry-rhubarb filling oozing out of a rich, crumbly cinnamon shortbread, with refreshing goji berries. They came out pretty much like I imagined! Guilt-free superfood bars, low-carb, and tantalizingly luscious.
Goji berries are higher in protein than any other fruit, and they’re the only fruit in the world that contains ALL essential amino acids. Gojis are also loaded with vitamin C, anti-oxidants, 21 trace minerals, and the greatest concentration of carotenoids of any other food! Goji berries are a member of the nightshade Solonaceae family. Rhubarb is high in vitamin K, (a vitamin many of us are lacking), which is important for healthy bones, nerves, and to prevent Alzheimer’s. These bars are Paleo, gluten-free, and low in carbs that cause weight gain if you use one of the suggested zero-carb sweeteners. Makes a 9-inch square pan, or about 16 bars depending how you cut them.
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger root, diced (or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup sweetener to taste such as Just Like Sugar Brown natural chicory root sweetener, or 2 tablespoons PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 1/2 cup raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.
- 4 teaspoons arrowroot flour or tapioca flour, or your favorite flour.
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups of 1/2-inch slices of rhubarb
- 1 cup (6 oz.) raspberries, fresh, or frozen and very well drained
- 1/3 cup dried goji berries
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1/4 rounded teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup (227 grams) coconut butter (If mixing by hand, soften first by putting it in the oven very briefly)
- 3 large eggs
- zest of 1/2 orange or lemon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sweetener to taste such as Just Like Sugar Brown natural chicory root sweetener, or 4 teaspoons PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 1/3 cup raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup nuts to sprinkle on top before baking, soaked and toasted if possible. (See All About Nuts)
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Grease a 9x9-inch square pan with coconut oil, and flour with coconut flour or almond meal.
- In a medium bowl, mix the ginger, lemon juice, vanilla, sweetener, arrowroot, and cinnamon. Gently mix in the rhubarb, raspberries, and goji berries. Set aside.
- In a food processor or medium bowl, mix together the almond meal, salt, spices, baking soda, and coconut butter. Mix well.
- Add eggs, zest, vanilla, sweetener, and vinegar. Mix well again
- With greased hands, press 2/3 of the dough into the prepared pan.
- Spoon the filling in an even layer over the patted-down dough.
- With greased hands, patch pieces of dough on top of the filling, flattening pieces of dough in your hands, until the patches cover most of the top. Sprinkle nuts on top and press in gently.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until the top is golden-brown and the filling is bubbling. Enjoy! If you prefer neat squares, chill the bars for several hours or overnight in the pan before slicing.
No Replies to "Raspberry Rhubarb Goji Bars"