I’m crazy for BEETS this week! Yep, those are my teeth marks in the photo. I dare you to try this luscious Natural Buttercream Frosting. It’s so irresistibly melt-in-your-mouth, no one will ever guess it’s made with healthy beets, coconut oil, and pure cacao. This one is over the top. I have a special passion for real food desserts, and I can’t believe how creamy, smooth and chocolaty it tastes! Try this frosting on Red Velvet Cupcakes! It’s also heavenly on my Primal Beet Brownies. If you use a zero-calorie sweetener suggested, it will be super-low in carbs, and won’t cause a blood-sugar rush or weight gain. This amazing frosting is very easy to make, and no need to cook. However it is rather non-traditional, so be sure to follow the recipe carefully. You will need a food processor or a super-blender. Makes 1 1/2 cups frosting.
- 1 1/2 cups Swerve Granulated Sugar-Free Sweetener, or Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetener, or your favorite granulated sweetener that dissolves in water.
- 3/4 cup beets, cooked until soft, and very well drained
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons pure cacao powder
- 1/2 cup solid coconut oil
- It is essential to have all the ingredients at room temperature. In a food processor, grind the sweetener until it's fine like confectioner's sugar. Add the beets, vanilla, salt, and cacao. Process well for 3-10 minutes until is is VERY smooth and creamy with no lumps.
- Add the solid coconut oil, and process again until completely smooth. If it looks frighteningly dark red and slimy, you've done it right. Pour it into a bowl and chill for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, so it can solidify and be spreadable. Remove it from the refrigerator when it is room temperature and spread it on your brownies, cake or cupcakes.
- Tip: this frosting is most spreadable at room temperature. If you chill it for too long or store it in the refrigerator, it will solidify and be very hard to spread. If this happens, set it out to warm to room temperature very slowly.