A GREAT holiday breakfast! This high-protein, low-carb, one-skillet meal has a real Sicilian flavor when you use fresh basil, rosemary, and parsley. My vegan Spicy Cheese Sauce adds a tantalizing flavor that’s completely dairy-free. That’s because the rich, mellow flavor of this cheese is so compatible with Italian foods. You’ll love this sauce and will want to pour it on everything! The sauce is made of coconut butter, nutritional yeast, and lemon juice, yet tastes almost exactly like aged cheese.
It gives a subtle savory taste that’s completely vegan and dairy-free. Spicy “no-cheese sauce” is easy in a small blender. You can store the sauce in the freezer. I like to pour it into an ice cube tray, freeze overnight, then transfer cubes to a freezer bag to save for up to 3 months. Or you can store the sauce in the refrigerator for 3 days. This is a very tasty and nutrient-dense breakfast! Serves 2.
- 1/2 cup thick full-fat, unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed or chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- Black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Optional for yellow color: 1/2 medium carrot, finely grated
- 3 tablespoons (42 grams) pure coconut butter (not coconut oil)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 medium zucchini, sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon rosemary leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil (or 1 teaspoon dry)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Unprocessed salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 to 3 cups raw baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley for garnish
- In any small blender, immersion blender with cup, or food processor, add coconut milk, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, mustard, chili powder, and carrot, if using. Blend well until it’s a creamy texture. Add the coconut butter and coconut oil last and process until smooth. Pour into a serving pitcher. Chill to thicken.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. In an ovenproof skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic, onions, zucchini, and herbs. Sauté briefly until they begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste
- Remove the pan from heat. Put the spinach into the pan—it will be piled very high, but don’t worry, it will cook down a lot. Spoon the Spicy Cheese Sauce on top of the spinach. Then add the diced tomatoes. Make four egg-size holes with a spoon, and break the eggs into the holes. Bake in the oven 15 to 20 minutes, just until the egg whites are cooked, but not overdone. Keep an eye on it. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve. Yummy!
2 Replies to "Sicilian Eggs with Spicy Vegan Cheese Sauce!"
DIANNE November 12, 2021 (8:01 am)
This sounds just wonderful and I have really been looking for a sauce that could replace a cheese sauce. I will be able to use it for so many recipes. I will make this, this week! Thank you so much Jane for all you do to make the world a better place, starting with creating stronger, healthier bodies and minds for us humans. I have been following you over the years and you have such a giving heart. I send you blessings so that you are wrapped in peace, joy, love, strength and radiant well being. With a grateful heart, Dianne
Jane Barthelemy November 17, 2021 (12:23 am)
Thank you dear Dianne. We do what we can. And then we leave. Ha Ha! This website is really fun for me!
Blessings back to you! Jane