This is a quick and hearty main-dish chicken salad that’s great any time of year. The creamy avocado-herb dressing contains no mayo or eggs. This means you can serve it warm with no worries for bag lunches, picnics, or travel. Blended avocado gives the dressing a thick, smooth texture. I ate the chicken salad on top and then finished it as a lettuce wrap – both were fantastic flavors! This dressing is easiest with a blender, or you can also whisk it together in a bowl by hand. Best of all, you can enjoy this in 20 minutes! Serves 4.
- 3 boneless chicken thighs or one full boneless chicken breast
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoons live apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 tablespoons healthy sweetener such as Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener (not Baking), or your favorite sweetener.
- 1/2 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 1 small clove garlic, pressed
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons herbs, chopped, fresh or frozen. (Or 1 tablespoon if dried) I use tarragon, basil, thyme, cilantro, chives, or whatever is handy.
- 1/2 avocado (use the other half in the salad)
- ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 avocado, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 2 green onions, diced
- 1 head lettuce (Bibb, Butter, Boston, or Romaine)
- 1 tablespoon herbs, chopped
- 3 red radishes, sliced
- In a large shallow pan with tight-fitting lid, poach the chicken in 1/4 cup filtered water with a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and then turn the heat down to a slow simmer. Cover the pan tightly and the steam will do the work for you. Steam for 15 minutes while you make the dressing. Check the chicken for doneness by cutting a slit into the thickest portion. When it is no longer red inside, it is finished. Remove chicken from heat and allow to cool slightly. When it’s cool enough to touch, cut into 1/2 inch cubes and put into a large salad bowl.
- Place all ingredients in any blender and mix well. Season to taste.
- To the chicken in a salad bowl, add avocado, celery, green onions.
- Pour the dressing over everything, and mix together gently.
- Serve on a bed of lettuce. Garnish with herbs and radish slices.