Fun to make and fun to eat, Zucchini Pizza Bites are a delightful appetizer, party food, snack or side dish. It’s a simple pizza on a zucchini slice, but people go crazy for this delicious treat. The recipe is truly Paleo, Vegan, and Nightshade-free when you use No-Tomato Sauce and Vegan Mozzarella Cheese. Or you can use your favorite tomato sauce and real cheese. I prefer to make the sauce and mozzarella “cheese” ahead of time and freeze them to keep on hand for quick meals. The cheese recipe makes 1 1/3 cups, which is more than you need for Pizza Bites. The leftover cheese is fantastic – sprinkle it like grated cheese on salads and vegetables, or use it to make Paleo Pizza! I added anchovies to some of them – you can see in the photo. They were yummy! Two medium zucchini will make about 30 Pizza Bites.
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons coconut milk, thick (or 2 tablespoons if thin.)
- 1/2 cup coconut butter, softened (put the jar in a bowl of warm water)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Vitamin C crystals
- 1/2 clove fresh crushed garlic, optional. (Try it, it's really yummy!)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted (put the jar in a bowl of lukewarm water)
- 2 medium to large zucchini, cut in 1/4 inch slices
- 1 1/2 cups No Tomato Sauce (or use your favorite tomato sauce)
- 1 green onion in slices, or
- 1-2 tablespoons oregano or basil leaves, diced
- 1 small can anchovies, cut into 1/2 inch pieces, optional
- In any style blender, add lemon juice, coconut milk, coconut butter, nutritional yeast, salt, Vitamin C crystals, and optional garlic. Blend well until smooth.
- Add the melted coconut oil last and blend briefly until smooth.
- Pour into a freezer-safe container and freeze. If you use a flat sandwich size container, it will freeze in 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Prepare a medium sized baking tray with parchment paper.
- Place the zucchini slices on the tray and bake 15 minutes. Then remove from the oven briefly and turn the slices over. Bake for another 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and increase oven temperature to 400 degrees.
- Slice a bit of the the Vegan Mozarella Cheese into 1/8-inch slices and put on a plate.
- Spoon a bit of of No-Tomato Sauce on top of each zucchini slice and spread evenly.
- Put a slice or two of cheese on top.
- Garnish with green onion, basil or oregano, and optional anchovy pieces.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until slightly browned but not mushy.
- Remove from oven, and serve immediately.
No Replies to "Zucchini Pizza Bites"