I never thought I’d invent Vegan Parmesan Cheese. Well, here it is! Ladies and gentlemen you can grate it, slice it, or cut into chunks. It is dairy-free and fabulicious! Instead of milk, it uses coconut butter, lemon, nutritional yeast, and Vitamin C crystals for that sharp, aged cheese flavor. This Paleo Parmesan cheese looks, tastes, slices and grates just like authentic Parmigiano Reggiano. I can’t stop eating chunks of it as I write this post. Grate it on salads, stir it into soups, use it in Paleo Lasagna or Zucchini Spaghetti. OK, sprinkle it on everything! It’s very easy to make, just blend and chill. It freezes well and grates best when it is cool. Keep it at room temperature or lower, as the coconut oil in it will soften with the heat of your hands. Store this cheese in the refrigerator for about 5 days. I prefer to store it in the freezer and bring it to the table cold with a micro-plane grater. Makes 1 1/2 cups.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup coconut butter, softened in warm water
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (Yes, that’s right)
- 1/4 teaspoon Vitamin-C crystals, for a sharp cheese flavor. (Look for pure ascorbic acid powder or crystals in the supplements section of any healthy grocery)
- 1/2 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted by putting the jar in lukewarm water, but not hot.
- In any style blender add lemon juice, coconut butter, nutritional yeast, Vitamin C crystals, and salt. Blend well until smooth.
- Add the coconut oil last and blend again until smooth. It will be quite thick. Have patience and add a bit more lemon juice if you need more liquid. My blender did OK but I had to help it go around with the corner of my rubber spatula.
- Pour into a freezer-safe container and freeze until solid. Chilling in the refrigerator will also solidify it. Enjoy!