Golden brown on top, rich and satisfying inside, these flavorful mini-quiches taste best piping hot. So easy, anyone can make them! And they’re not just for breakfast – try them for lunch or dinner! If you’re rushed in the morning, consider prepping the night before, and bake in the morning. It’s easy when you don’t have to make a crust! This recipe is Paleo, free of gluten- grains, dairy, and sugars. Feel free to use the ingredients you have, as this recipe is quite flexible. For example, you can skip the bacon and add more veggies instead. Or substitute other veggies. You can also use blended egg-whites instead of whole eggs, and they’ll poof up even more in the oven. Look for sugar-free bacon that is organic or non-GMO. This recipe makes two 10-oz. ramekins. Serves 2.
- 3 ounces organic or non-GMO bacon in 1/2-inch pieces (2-3 slices)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 carrot, coarsely grated
- 3 whole eggs, or 5 egg whites (about 165 grams out of the shell)
- 1/3 cup alternative milk, such as unsweetened full-fat coconut milk.
- 1/4 cup your favorite protein powder (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon unprocessed salt to taste and some black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional for cheese flavor)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease two 10-ounce ramekins with coconut oil.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat. Add veggies and lightly sauté them 2 minutes all together. Put the mixture into the bottom of the ramekins.
- Blend or whisk together the eggs, milk, protein powder, salt, lemon juice and yeast, if using. Blend very well, to whip the eggs so they poof up when baking. Place the ramekins on a baking tray. Pour the egg mixture into the ramekins over the veggies.
- Bake 20 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. Serve piping hot!