Delicata squash is a mouth-watering, nutrient-dense meal. It has a yummy hollow center that’s just begging for a filling! This is my favorite squash because the skin is so soft you can eat it! It’s a super-easy breakfast, lunch or dinner any season. Just scrub, slice, fill, and bake one for everone in the family. A hand-held meal that is so satisfying. No need to scoop it out with a spoon. Ha Ha! Enjoy!
Delicata squash is loaded with vitamins A, B6, and C, folate, magnesium, fiber, riboflavin, phosphorus,manganese, and potassium. This recipe contains dairy-free coconut cheese for a flavorful boost. Add optional meat, herbs and spices as you like. Note: It helps to start with the eggs at room temperature. Serves 2.
- 1 medium delicata squash
- 1 green onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons Vegan Cream Cheese, (or substitute goat cheese)
- 1 tablespoon cooked bacon, diced (optional)
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a small baking tray or dish with parchment paper.
- Slice the squash lengthwise. Remove seeds and put them in a separate dish to bake - yum! Make a small vertical slice across the bottom of each piece to flatten it so they sit level.
- Sprinkle green onion pieces into the squash. Douse them with a tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Bake 15 - 20 minutes. Then test the squash with a fork. When it is soft, remove it from the oven. Sprinkle cheese into the squash, and then crack an egg carefully into each hole. Use the tip of a knife to break the yolks, if you like, to help the egg cook faster and more evenly.
- Sprinkle with cooked bacon, if using.
- Bake 10 - 15 minutes more, depending on how you like your yolks. You may need to bake longer if the eggs were chilled.
- Cool 5 minutes and enjoy!