Delicata squash is a mouth-watering, nutrient-dense meal. And the hollow center is just begging for a stuffing! It’s my favorite squash because the skin is so soft you can eat it! Coconut cheese adds a flavorful boost. Bacon is optional. This is a super-easy breakfast, lunch or dinner any time of year.Delicata squash is rich in vitamins A, B6, and C, folate, magnesium, fiber, riboflavin, phosphorus,manganese, and potassium. Just scrub, slice, fill, and bake. Add optional meat, herbs and spices as you like. Note: It helps to start with the eggs at room temperature. Serves 2.
- 1 medium delicata squash
- 1 green onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons Vegan Cream Cheese, (or substitute goat cheese)
- 1 tablespoon cooked bacon, diced (optional)
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a small baking tray or dish with parchment paper.
- Slice the squash lengthwise. Remove seeds and put them in a separate dish to bake - yum! Make a small vertical slice across the bottom of each piece to flatten it so they sit level.
- Sprinkle green onion pieces into the squash. Douse them with a tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Bake 15 - 20 minutes. Then test the squash with a fork. When it is soft, remove it from the oven. Sprinkle cheese into the squash, and then crack an egg carefully into each hole. Use the tip of a knife to break the yolks, if you like, to help the egg cook faster and more evenly.
- Sprinkle with cooked bacon, if using.
- Bake 10 - 15 minutes more, depending on how you like your yolks. You may need to bake longer if the eggs were chilled.
- Cool 5 minutes and enjoy!