Smooth, rich, and creamy, I thought a Vegan Cream Cheese was impossible until I invented this! A spreadable Paleo cheese, it tastes delicious on Artisan Olive Bread. Make it in a blender with coconut milk, coconut butter and lemon for an incredibly yummy flavor without dairy, gum, or stabilizers. Hooray! Then chill and use it just as you would any Cream Cheese.
These days many of us are dairy-intolerant. Myriad causes for this include pasteurization, processing, preservatives, chemicals, detergents in transport trucks, GMO’s, pesticides, antibiotics, growth hormones, and toxins fed to animals. Commercial dairy-free cheeses are often filled with chemicals and stabilizers. Here’s a clean alternative!
Hint: Freeze this in ice cube trays overnight, put frozen cubes into small bags for easy storage. Pull out of the freezer in small delicious doses!
Since coconut is very temperature-sensitive, larger chunks of this cheese may be too firm to spread if you keep it chilled. To achieve a perfect spreadable texture, remove your container from the fridge after the first chilling, and allow it to come to room temperature. Then spread it on toast or crackers. Store in the refrigerator or freezer to use in omelets and Paleo Breads anytime. It’s also a great substitute for goat cheese in salads, veggies, or wild fish. It keeps in the refrigerator one week, and much longer in the freezer. For a sexier flavor, see Herbed Cream Cheese Spread! Makes 1 1/4 cups.
- 3/4 cup unsweetened full fat canned coconut milk. I used Native Forest organic Full-fat coconut milk.
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon live apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1/4 heaping teaspoon unprocessed salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Vitamin-C crystals (Very optional, only if you want a sharper cheese flavor)
- Coconut butter 1/2 cup if soft or 113 grams if you’re weighing it hard. (You can soften it VERY gently by placing the container in a bowl of warm water to about 80 degrees F, not very warm)
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil at room temperature
- Put coconut milk, lemon juice, vinegar, nutritional yeast, salt, and optional Vitamin-C in any blender. Blend until smooth. Add the coconut butter and blend again. Add coconut oil last and blend until smooth.
- Chill for 2 hours to thicken.
3 Replies to "Dairy-free Coconut Cream Cheese"
Darlene November 1, 2021 (8:49 am)
Can this be used to make cream cheese frosting or in baked goods if it calls for cream cheese?
Jane Barthelemy November 17, 2021 (1:13 am)
Hi Darlene, thanks for your comment. YES! You XB use this for frosting and any recipe instead of cream cheese. EVEN BETTER, check out this recipe for Cream Cheese Frosting. It’s the centerpiece flagship recipe of my Paleo Desserts book!!! https://janeshealthykitchen.com/coconut-cream-cheese-frosting-vegan/
Best wishes and Thanks again, Jane
Tim Fava September 8, 2021 (2:14 pm)
Thank You so much, I am not full vegan yet but I am Working on it. It is tough living with Carnivores. 😉