Here’s a super-easy dairy-free cheese sauce for broccoli. It’s so tasty and quick! Broccoli is an important source of calcium for folks that don’t eat dairy, like Paleo and Vegan folks. Instead of cheese, the recipe uses coconut milk, lemon juice, and nutritional yeast. I love broccoli stems, and they’re chock full of healthy nutrients like Vitamin-C, Vitamin-A, beta-carotene, folic acid, and fiber. Broccoli is best steamed to retain nutrients. This sauce is wonderful on cauliflower too! As a vegetable side dish it serves 4. Makes 1 1/4 cups sauce.
Broccoli with Cheese Sauce – Vegan!
- 3/4 cup thick, unsweetened canned coconut milk
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast, for a cheese flavor
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- 3/8 teaspoon salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder to thicken (if your milk is thin, use 2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 medium carrot, finely grated, for a cheddar cheese color!
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 cup filtered water to steam broccoli
- 1 bunch broccolini or broccoli, cut into buds, with or without stems
Vegan Cheese Sauce:
Steam the Broccoli:
- In a small blender, add the coconut milk, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, mustard, arrowroot, grated carrot, and optional nutmeg. Blend well until it's a smooth, creamy texture, a yellow color, and the carrot is liquefied. You could also do this with an immersion blender in a cup or small pan.
- Add the coconut oil last and blend well. Pour the mixture into a small pan on the stove over low heat. Warm it slowly while stirring. When it begins to bubble, the arrowroot will thicken into a creamy sauce. Bring to a gentle boil while stirring, and then turn the heat way down. Do not bring to a full boil, or the coconut oil may separate. Keep warm.
- Put 1/2 cup water in a medium saucepan. Using a steamer, place trimmed broccoli inside. Bring the water to a boil, and then turn down to a low simmer for a few minutes. Taste the broccoli every minute or so, until it's "al dente" just right to eat. Do not overcook or it will be mushy. Put the steamed broccoli on a serving plate.
- Pour Cheese Sauce over the broccoli and serve!
Vegan Cheese Sauce:
©Copyright Jane Barthelemy 2012
No Replies to "Broccoli with Vegan Cheese Sauce"