These yummy biscuits taste just like spicy cornmeal biscuits, only better! They’re a crispy, Paleo, gluten-free version of that decadent cheese biscuit you’d dunk in your Southwest tortilla soup. I served them with Coconut Chipotle Butter – see the easy recipe below. These biscuits are quite salty and spicy, however you can modify the recipe to suit your needs. You’ll need a food processor to grind the shredded coconut – it won’t work in a blender or hand- grinder. Makes about 12 2-inch savory biscuits.
Chili Cheese Biscuits with Chipotle Butter
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut flakes
- 3/4 cup almond meal or flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot powder
- 1 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (for buttery flavor)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice (for a sharp cheese flavor)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons water or alternative milk
- 2 tablespoons dry onion flakes (Find them in the bulk section of healthy groceries)
- 2 tablespoons dried goji berries (optional, for color and nutrition)
- 1/3 cup coconut butter, softened by putting the jar in warm water
- 2 teaspoons raw local honey, or your favorite sweetener
- 1/2 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- Pinch chipotle powder (or 1/2 teaspoon chipotle sauce or chili powder)
- 2 teaspoons lemon or lime juice
- Plenty black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, crushed (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a dry food processor with the “S” blade, add the shredded coconut and spin it for a minute until as fine as possible.
- Add to the food processor the almond meal, arrowroot, salt, baking powder, nutritional yeast and chili powder. Spin it again for a minute, until the coconut is ground into very fine particles like cornmeal.
- To the dry ingredients in the food processor, add lemon or lime juice, egg, and water or alternative milk Mix briefly to a cohesive dough.
- Add onion flakes and goji berries to food processor and pulse them in very gently, so they remain in large pieces.
- Drop the batter onto the baking sheet in spoonfuls roughly 1 1/2” inches diameter. These are rustic, so uneven biscuits are beautiful.
- Bake 14 to 18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and enjoy warm.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients. Serve at room temperature. Store in the fridge for 1 week.
©Copyright Jane Barthelemy 2012
No Replies to "Chili Cheese Biscuits with Chipotle Butter"