Why do apples and bacon taste so irresistible together? A fabulicious breakfast or snack, these are filled with apple chunks, crunchy walnuts, and bacon. They’re Paleo, free of gluten, grains, sugars, dairy, and processed foods. They won’t raise blood sugar or cause weight gain if you use the recommended natural zero-sugar sweeteners. I suggest organic apples and organic sugar-free bacon to avoid toxic GMO varieties. Peeling the apples helps them soften as they bake, to make the muffins lusciously moist. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for 5 days, or up to 3 months in the freezer. Makes 24 mini muffins or 10 regular muffins. Enjoy!
- 1/2 cup walnuts, soaked and toasted if possible. (See All About Nuts)
- 5 ounces organic bacon cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 apples, peeled and coarsely chopped (c. 180 grams)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 113 grams coconut butter (1/2 cup if soft) (if mixing by hand, soften it by placing the container in a bowl of warm water)
- About 3/4 cup sweetener to taste such as Just Like Sugar Brown natural chicory root sweetener, or 2 tablespoons PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 1/2 cup raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.
- 1 cup almond meal or flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease muffin tins with coconut oil and flour with coconut flour. Coarsely chop the nuts. Cook the bacon.
- Peel and coarsely chop the apples into a small mixing bowl. Sprinkle them with spices and lemon juice. Set aside.
- In a food processor or large mixing bowl, add the wet ingredients: eggs, vinegar, vanilla, coconut butter, and sweetener. Mix well
- Mix dry ingredients into the above: almond meal, baking soda, salt. This begins the rising action, so work quickly to get these babies into the oven.
- Pulse or mix in the nuts, apples, bacon, and bacon grease if desired. Mix VERY BRIEFLY, because we want chunky muffins!
- Spoon batter into muffin tins. Bake mini-muffins 14 - 18 minutes, regular muffins 20 - 25 minutes or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 20 minutes in the tins. Enjoy!