These yummy crackers taste even better than goldfish. People go crazy for the rich cheese flavor. Amazingly they contain no cheese, dairy, or flour. They’re Paleo, gluten-free and grain-free, made with coconut, almond meal, arrowroot, and nutritional yeast. I ate them with Vegan Herbed Creme Cheese Dip! Yummy!This recipe makes about 75 crackers.
Gluten-free No-Cheese Crackers
- 1 1/2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut flakes (not coconut flour)
- 1 1/2 cups Almond Meal or Flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot powder
- 11/2 teaspoons unprocessed salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 5 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons finely grated carrot
- 1 clove garlic, peeled, and crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Vitamin-C crystals (For a sharp cheese flavor. Buy in supplements section of any grocery)
- Plenty ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons filtered water, if necessary
- In a food processor, place the shredded coconut and almond meal. Spin it for a minute to a fine flour. Open the processor, stir the bottom, and grind again until very fine.
- Add arrowroot powder, salt, baking soda, and nutritional yeast. Process again. Add all remaining ingredients to the food processor: eggs, carrot, garlic, Vitamin C crystals, and pepper. Process until it is a cohesive dough, and begins to roll around inside the processor in a huge glob. If the dough is too wet to roll out, add a bit more almond meal or arrowroot powder. If it is too dry, add a few drops of lemon juice or water. Form the dough into a ball and flatten to 1/2-inch thick. Wrap it in plastic wrap, parchment paper or a plastic bag and refrigerate for 30 minutes on a board, so the board will chill as well.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Get out two baking sheets.
- Put the chilled board on the counter. Take half the dough and roll it between 2 layers of parchment or wax paper to 1/8 inch thick, on your board. Peel off the top layer of paper and gently slide it onto a baking tray. With a rolling cutter, cut the dough into squares. If you want them to be pretty, you can press the tines of a fork into them to make parallel holes.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes. I set the timer for 15 minutes and check them every minute or two after that for the perfect color. Watch carefully as they burn quickly.
- Remove from oven and cool for a few minutes on the tray. Store for several days in an airtight container so they’ll stay crispy. Enjoy!
©Copyright Jane Barthelemy 2012
2 Replies to "Gluten-free No-Cheese Crackers"
Stacy Garrison February 5, 2022 (6:47 am)
I just found your site yesterday and this was the first recipe I made. They are WONDERFUL! I couldn’t find the Vitamin C crystals at my store, but they were still wonderful. I’ve seen that in a couple of other recipes, so I’ll keep looking for them. Great recipe!
Jane Barthelemy February 25, 2022 (9:16 pm)
Hi Stacy, Thanks for your comment. Don’t worry about the vitamin C crystals. They just give it a tangy flavor, but it’s not necessary. Or use a bit of lemon juice instead. Ascorbic Acid I find in my local healthy grocery supplements shelves. Yes, these are great little crackers. Glad you enjoy them! Jane