Here’s a great grab-and-go high-protein breakfast! These babies will sustain you all morning. I was taking a week off in a Taos cabin, where the natural beauty is gorgeous. But uh oh! No healthy muffins to be found – everything was full of sugar and GMO grains. So I invented these tender muffins with fresh organic carrots and farm eggs. Ooooh – they came out so yummy! No one would guess they’re Paleo, 100% free of gluten, grains, glycemic sweeteners, GMO’s, dairy, and processed junk. If you use one of the suggested natural non-glycemic sweeteners, they’re truly guilt-free – they won’t spike blood sugar or cause weight gain. Yay!
Makes 24 -30 delicious mini-muffins, or 12 regular muffins depending on the size of your tins. Try these babies for breakfast!
- 4 large eggs, GMO-free, at room temperature (220 grams out of shell)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 inch ginger root grated or diced, or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Zest of one orange
- 1 cup (230 grams) carrot, raw or cooked. (If mixing by hand, grated)
- 1/3 cup sweetener to taste, such as Swerve Granulated Sugar-Free Sweetener, or Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetener, or 4 teaspoons PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 1/4 cup raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.
- 3/4 cup (170 grams) coconut butter or almond butter. If you’re mixing by hand, soften coconut butter briefly in the oven.
- 3/4 cup almond meal, or a little more if your batter is runny
- 1/4 heaping teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Heat oven to 350° F. Grease tins with coconut oil. Flour with coconut flour.
- Mix or blend the eggs, vanilla, vinegar, ginger, zest, carrot, and sweetener. Add the nut butter and mix well again.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: almond meal, salt, cinnamon and soda. Add to the wet ingredients and mix very briefly. Check sweetness and sweeten to taste. Pulse in the nuts briefly, if using.
- Pour into muffin tins. Bake mini-muffins 12 - 15 minutes, regular muffins 22 - 28 minutes or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean. Cool and eat!