Here’s a great grab-and-go high-protein breakfast! These babies will sustain you all morning. I was taking a week off in a Taos cabin, where the natural beauty is gorgeous. But uh oh! No healthy muffins to be found – everything was full of sugar and GMO grains. So I invented these tender muffins with fresh organic carrots and farm eggs. Ooooh – they came out so yummy! No one would guess they’re Paleo, 100% free of gluten, grains, glycemic sweeteners, GMO’s, dairy, and processed junk. If you use one of the suggested natural non-glycemic sweeteners, they’re truly guilt-free – they won’t spike blood sugar or cause weight gain. Yay!
Makes 24 -30 delicious mini-muffins, or 12 regular muffins depending on the size of your tins. Try these babies for breakfast!
- 4 large eggs, GMO-free, at room temperature (220 grams out of shell)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 inch ginger root grated or diced, or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Zest of one orange
- 1 cup (230 grams) carrot, raw or cooked. (If mixing by hand, grated)
- 1/3 cup sweetener to taste, such as Swerve Granulated Sugar-Free Sweetener, or Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetener, or 4 teaspoons PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 1/4 cup raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.
- 3/4 cup (170 grams) coconut butter or almond butter. If you’re mixing by hand, soften coconut butter briefly in the oven.
- 3/4 cup almond meal, or a little more if your batter is runny
- 1/4 heaping teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Heat oven to 350° F. Grease tins with coconut oil. Flour with coconut flour.
- Mix or blend the eggs, vanilla, vinegar, ginger, zest, carrot, and sweetener. Add the nut butter and mix well again.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: almond meal, salt, cinnamon and soda. Add to the wet ingredients and mix very briefly. Check sweetness and sweeten to taste. Pulse in the nuts briefly, if using.
- Pour into muffin tins. Bake mini-muffins 12 - 15 minutes, regular muffins 22 - 28 minutes or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean. Cool and eat!
2 Replies to "Paleo Carrot Muffins for Breakfast!"
Helen April 28, 2023 (6:46 pm)
Hey Jane, Thankyou Thankyou for these ‘tender’ carrot muffins??Had to make them immediately and had to stop myself from just now eating a third one just out if the oven. Sumptuous. Gorgeous. Addictive. Had an issue with my coconut butter( well solid oil) and thought the muffins might not cook well. However despite tasting like coconut oil, sweet egg with a touch of heaven they’re pretty impressive. First attempt: tick, with a promise if more. Thankings to you??
Jane Barthelemy May 2, 2023 (12:51 am)
Hello Helen, thank you for your message. I’m overjoyed that you liked my muffins! Be careful, you’ll want to eat them all. Yum Yum! Healthy food is a great gift! Thank you again, Jane