Authentic Thai Chicken Satay on skewers is is a succulent rainbow of exotic flavors. It’s so easy to make, just mix the marinade, soak the chicken, thread them on skewers, and bake. For a tasty dip, try them with Thai No-Peanut Sauce. This traditional recipe is Paleo-adapted to be free of refined sugars, gluten, and peanuts. Asian spices add an exotic flavor. The recipe is also nightshade-free, as it contains no tomatoes, peppers, or cayenne, which are common allergens. Oven-baking the chicken is quicker and avoids carcinogens of charcoal grilling. Makes 8 skewers. Serves 4 persons as a main meal, or 8 persons as a light lunch or appetizer.
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk or filtered water
- 1 small onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- Sweeten to taste with 1/4 cup Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or 2 teaspoons PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 3 tablespoons raw honey, or your favorite sweetener
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 lemon, peeled, sliced and seeded (or 2 limes)
- 1/4 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder, optional
- Spices in the marinade:
- 1 large thumb-sized piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 cup minced lemongrass (optional)
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 8 skinless chicken thighs, cut into thin strips (boneless is easier)
- 8 skewers, metal or wood.
- If you’re using wooden skewers, soak them in water to prevent burning.
- In any blender or food processor, mix all the marinade ingredients completely.
- Adjust the spices, sweetness and saltiness. Pour into a medium mixing bowl.
- Cut the chicken into thin strips, and put them into the marinade. When finished, stir well to coat each piece. Marinate at least 1 hour or overnight.
- When ready to cook, preheat oven to 350°F. Thread chicken onto the skewers.
- Place the threaded chicken skewers into a 9 x 13-inch baking pan, and put into the oven. Bake 25 to 30 minutes. Every 7-10 minutes open the oven, turn each skewer over, and baste generously with marinade sauce. For the last 10 minutes, baste again and turn the oven on broil, to allow the chicken to brown. Serve hot.