If Paleo Pumpkin Bread is good, then Paleo chocolate pumpkin bread is much, much better. Rich and full-bodied, the two flavors blend perfectly together. This easy recipe is moist and dense, filled with pure cacao and spices. Since the recipe makes several loaves, you can slice and freeze leftovers for a future treat. This makes three 4.5 x 2.5-inch mini loaves; two 7 x 3-inch loaves; one 9 x 5-inch loaf; or a 9-inch square pan. A food processor is helpful but not required.
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup pure cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 heaping teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 11/2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- Coconut butter 113 grams if hard, and 1/2 cup if soft. (If you’re mixing by hand, soften it first by placing the container in a bowl of hot water)
- 3 large eggs (See The Best Eggs are Pasture-raised Organic)
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- Zest of 1 orange
- 2/3 cup cooked fresh pumpkin or squash pulp, about 165 grams
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon maple flavor
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- Sweeten to taste with about 1 1/4 cups Just Like Sugar Brown natural chicory root sweetener, or 3 1/3 tablespoons PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 1 cup raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.
- 1 1/4 cups nuts such as walnuts or pecans (See All About Nuts)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking pan with parchment paper that hangs over the edges like handles.
- In a food processor or mixing bowl, add almond meal, cacao, baking soda, salt, and spice. Process well. Add coconut butter, and mix well to a paste.
- To the mixture, add eggs, almond butter, zest, pumpkin, vanilla, maple, vinegar, and sweetener.
- Pulse in the nuts briefly and pour batter into the lined pan.
- Bake mini loaves 20 to 22 minutes, 7 x 3-inch pans 35 to 45 minutes, 9 x 5-inch pan 40 to 50 minutes, 9-inch square pan 25 to 35 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 1 hour. Chill 1 hour for easy slicing.