Today I was in the mood for a savory, crispy snack. These irresistible crackers are alive with the flavor of fresh onion, garlic and herbs. Gluten-free and grain free so delicate and tasty, you’d never know they’re made with pure coconut and almond meal. I think they’re delicious spread with Vegan Cream Cheese. Makes about 75 crackers.
Paleo Onion Herb Crackers
- 1 1/2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut flakes (not coconut flour)
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal or flour
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons arrowroot flour
- 1 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional butter flavor)
- 1 egg, pasture raised, organic if possible
- 1 small onion, in chunks
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup dill, minced
- 2 tablespoons rosemary
- Plenty ground black pepper
- In a food processor, place the shredded coconut and almond meal. Spin it for a minute to a fine flour. Open the processor, stir the bottom, and grind again until very fine.
- Add arrowroot, salt, baking soda, and nutritional yeast. Mix again. Open the processor and pour the dry ingredients into a medium mixing bowl.
- To the empty food processor, add egg, onion, garlic, diced dill, rosemary and black pepper. Process until it is completely liquefied.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula to a firm dough thick enough to roll out. If it is too wet, add a bit of almond meal. If it is too dry, add a few drops of filtered water.
- Form the dough into a ball and flatten to 1/2-inch thick. Wrap it in plastic wrap, parchment paper or a plastic bag and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Get out two baking sheets. Place dough on a counter top lightly dusted with almond meal. Take half the dough and roll it between 2 layers of parchment or wax paper to 1/8 inch thick. Peel off the top layer of paper and flip it onto a baking tray. With a knife or a rolling cutter, cut the dough into 1 1/2 inch squares. If you want to make them fancy, press the tines of a fork into them to make parallel holes.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes. I set the timer for 15 minutes and after that check them every minute or two for the perfect color. If you want to give them a beautiful golden-brown color, turn the oven on broil for the last few minutes, but watch carefully as they burn VERY quickly.
- Remove from oven and cool for a few minutes on the tray. Enjoy!
©Copyright Jane Barthelemy 2012
No Replies to "Paleo Onion Herb Crackers"