This mouth-watering dip is bursting with superfood flavor from pure fresh vegetables. Enjoy it as a spread, a pate, a mayo, or a topping for Zoodles! Looking for a quick, money-saving way to eat more veggies? Today in the fridge I found kale, broccoli stems, green beans, zucchini, and Brussels sprouts, already lightly cooked. I threw them in the processor with fresh basil, avocado, and garlic. Presto Pesto!! It was an instant WOW! I spread it on Hi-Protein Rosemary-Walnut Bread!
I added detox superfoods like fresh parsley and basil to the blender. Any veggies you have on hand will be delicious including carrots, mushrooms, peas, leek, etc. For some reason COLOR is important to my taste buds. For example, green and orange veggies will make your pâté brown. If you mix beets with spinach it will come out almost black! I wanted GREEN pesto today. BTW you’ll probably need a food processor for this spread. Yes, you can make it in a blender…however, you might need to add a wee bit more liquid.
Make this with either cooked or raw veggies. Today they were steamed lightly. Traditional Chinese medicine recommends lightly cooked foods. That’s because lightly cooked still have many enzymes intact, and the fiber is softened so they’re easier to digest. Lightly cooked foods usually render a higher percentage of nutrient absorption. Raw veggies contain high levels of enzymes and good bacteria; but raw fiber is harder to digest, and much of it is eliminated as fiber. And that’s not a bad thing either. Everyone’s digestion is unique. Your absorption depends on many factors (especially how well you CHEW your food). Store this pesto in the fridge for 3 days, or freeze for 2 months. Makes about 3 cups delicious pesto. Enjoy!
This pesto is tasty on veggies. Use as a dip, a mayo, pasta sauce, or spread on Paleo bread.
- 4 cups (or so) veggies like such as broccoli, broccoli stems, Brussels sprouts, kale, chard, rutabaga, turnip, string beans, zucchini, parsley or any vegetables.
- 4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 lemons, peeled, sliced and seeded
- 3 huge handfuls fresh basil with stems
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional for a parmesan flavor)
- Throw all the ingredients into a food processor. Process until really soft, smooth, and creamy.
- Dip or spread on EVERYTHING to enjoy with your favorite foods. It makes a great dip for raw veggies, mayo substitute, or as a nutritious spread on your favorite Paleo bread!
2 Replies to "Presto Pesto in 1-Minute Flat"
Lorraine Showalter August 15, 2021 (8:21 am)
Love this idea!! And the way you came up with it!! I love pesto, and eat it on almost anything….can’t believe I didn’t think of this myself.
Jane Barthelemy August 15, 2021 (5:03 pm)
Hi Lorraine, YES! I can’t believe you didn’t think of it yourself. I was so amazed! Enjoy it and all the yummy variations you make from it. Jane