Looks like bread, tastes like bread, but NO refined carbs. Hooray! A full-bodied Mediterranean-style bread with amazing flavor, you can taste the olive oil and black pepper in every bite. High-protein, gluten-free, grain-free and Paleo, it’s made with almond meal, chia seeds, egg, and walnuts. This EASY bread tastes scrumptious with my Vegan Butter, Presto Pesto!, or just dip it in olive oil. I’m tempted to eat the whole loaf, but I’ll freeze with paper between slices so I can have one tomorrow – Ha Ha! A food processor is helpful but not required. Makes one 9 x 5 loaf of bread.
- 6 large eggs (330 grams out of the shell)
- 1/2 cup chia seeds, preferably white for a light colored bread
- 4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 1/2 cups almond meal, blanched
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 1/4 heaping teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons dry rosemary leaves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dry dill weed
- 1/2 cup walnuts, soaked, dehydrated or toasted if possible (See All About Nuts)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, add the wet ingredients and mix. Let them sit for 15 minutes while the chia seeds expand.
- To the mixture in the food processor, add the almond meal, soda, salt, pepper, rosemary and dill. Mix briefly. The batter will be the consistency of thick cooked oatmeal. Add the walnuts last, and pulse briefly so they'll be in chunky morsels.
- Quickly pour batter into your pan. Bake for 45 minutes or so, or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool. This slices easier when chilled.