Easy “Tortilla de Patata” is a favorite meal-in-minutes from Barcelona to Madrid to Seville. This recipe is a cauliflower take-off on that national dish of Spain. Cauliflower is an ideal substitute for potatoes, because it’s delicious, a highly nutritious cruciferous veggie, low in carbs, and so quick to cook. It can be ready in a snap fo breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Potatoes and peppers are not on my diet, as they’re in the nightshade family, which causes intestinal problems for some people – see my article Beware of Nightshades. You can find a whole section on my blog for Nightshade-free recipes.
This basic Spanish frittata contains eggs, onion and cauliflower. Add your own favorite fillings as desired. Traditional additions are Spanish ham, bacon, pepper, cheese, etc. Today I used Vegan Cheddar Cheese on top, then garnished it with red pepper and parsley. If you’re nightshade sensitive like me, your can skip the red pepper and garnish it with chives, green onion, or grated carrot. Serves 4.
Step 1: Saute the onion, garlic, cauliflower, and green onions until they begin to soften.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 1 small to medium cauliflower, cut into bite-sized florets
- Unprocessed salt & pepper
- 6 eggs, pasture-raised organic if possible.
- 2 green onions, diced
- 4 slices natural nitrate-free bacon, prosciutto, or ham, in pieces.
- 1/4 cup Vegan Cheddar Cheese crumbles
- Turn the broiler on to 450 degrees F. In a large non-stick skillet, add the oil over medium heat. Saute the onions until they begins to soften. Add cauliflower, and saute for 5 minutes or so until it is al-dente and not mushy. Add the green onions and optional meat and heat through.
- Meanwhile, whisk together 6 eggs in a small bowl, add a bit of salt and pepper. Pour eggs over the cauliflower mixture and rotate the pan so they cover the cauliflower evenly. Turn the heat down and cover the pan. Cook until the eggs begin to solidify.
- Sprinkle crumbled cheese on top, if using. Put the pan under the broiler for 2-3 minutes to cook the top of the eggs and brown a bit.
- Remove from the oven. Slide it carefully onto a serving plate and enjoy!