The Spanish really know how to make a frittata, with plenty of fresh eggs, potatoes, and onion, an easy favorite called a “Tortilla de Patata”. This recipe is a Paleo cauliflower take-off on that Spanish national food. It can be a quick breakfast, lunch, dinner, or snack. Cauliflower is an ideal substitute for potatoes, as it’s delicious, nutritious, low in carbs and quick to cook. Potatoes and peppers are not on the Paleo diet, and they’re part of the nightshade family, which causes intestinal problems for some people – see my article Beware of Nightshades. There’s a whole section on my blog for Nightshade-free recipes.
This basic Spanish frittata contains eggs, onion and cauliflower. Then you can add your own favorite fillings, such as ham, bacon, pepper, cheese, etc. Today I used Vegan Cheddar Cheese on top, then garnished it with red pepper and parsley. If you’re nightshade sensitive, skip the red pepper and garnish it with something else wonderful, such as chives, green onions, or grated carrot. Serves 4.
Saute the onion, garlic, cauliflower and green onions until they begin to soften.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 1 small to medium cauliflower, cut into bite-sized florets
- Unprocessed salt & pepper
- 6 eggs, pasture-raised organic if possible.
- 2 green onions, diced
- 4 slices natural nitrate-free bacon, prosciutto, or ham, in pieces.
- 1/4 cup Vegan Cheddar Cheese crumbles
- Turn the broiler on to 450 degrees F. In a large non-stick skillet, add the oil over medium heat. Saute the onions until they begins to soften. Add cauliflower, and saute for 5 minutes or so until it is al-dente and not mushy. Add the green onions and optional meat and heat through.
- Meanwhile, whisk together 6 eggs in a small bowl, add a bit of salt and pepper. Pour eggs over the cauliflower mixture and rotate the pan so they cover the cauliflower evenly. Turn the heat down and cover the pan. Cook until the eggs begin to solidify.
- Sprinkle crumbled cheese on top, if using. Put the pan under the broiler for 2-3 minutes to cook the top of the eggs and brown a bit.
- Remove from the oven. Slide it carefully onto a serving plate and enjoy!