Today I was running late, and my team needed a quick, healthy snack. In the kitchen were a young coconut, some strawberries, and a banana. With only five ingredients, minutes later we were enjoying this refreshing mousse! Opening a young coconut used to be a chore, however I recently bought a Coco Jack tool. See below how easy it is! I’m going to be making this a LOT! Make sure your strawberries are organic, as they absorb nefarious amounts of pesticides.
The first video shows how to use the Coco Jack tool, an ingenious new device that makes opening a coconut safe and quick. The second video shows how to open it with a knife. This blended mousse won’t cause a blood sugar spike or weight gain if you use one of the suggested non-glycemic sweeteners. Any blender will do the job if you don’t mind a few lumps. However a superblender (such as a BlendTec or VitaMix) will make it perfectly smooth. Serves 3 or 4.
Coco Jack step 1: Position the tool and hammer over the center of a young coconut.
Coco Jack step 2: Whack it real good, driving the tool into the top of the coconut. It took me about 10 whacks.
Coco Jack step 3: Lift the tool up and the coconut “cap” will open! I’m going to do this a LOT!
- 1 young coconut
- 15 organic strawberries, diced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon sweetener such as Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or 1/2 teaspoon PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 2 teaspoons raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
- 1 banana
- Open the coconut and pour off the water to use in something else.
- Using a spoon, scoop out the white coconut pulp and place into a blender.
- To the blender add half the diced strawberries and all the vanilla, sweetener, and lemon juice if using. Blend well until as smooth as possible. You may need to stop and press the mixture down so it blends more easily.
- Add the banana last and blend well. This will make the mousse very thick.
- Put the remaining diced strawberries into the bottom of serving cups, and pour the mousse on top. Enjoy!