Take ginger root for example. Wouldn’t it be simpler to just eat raw ginger? But dried, powdered Chinese Gingerol capsules are available at Rite Aid, Walmart, and Amazon. It’s laughable!
The list goes on. As pharma producers race to invent new supplements, a recent study just made our healthy choices easier! Ha ha! Here are the top supposedly most effective natural substances that target cancer cells. The article in the Journal of Anti-cancer Research is titled “Natural Products That Target Cancer Stem Cells”. It’s no secret that these nutrients kill cancer at its root. Big pharma companies tend to focus on patenting new compounds as cancer chemotherapies. But now there’s a whole world of companies marketing extracts from natural foods with or without a patent. How useful are these “natural” extracts? Do they have any potency or life force after they arrive from China? It’s hard to know…
Pharmaceutical giant Merck labels the active ingredient 6-Gingerol Zingiber officinale “an anti-tumor, apoptosis (cell death) inducing compound that blocks EGF-induced cell transformation by inhibiting the activation of Activator Protein-1 in cancer stem cells”. What if we just eat the real plants? As fresh as possible! The intelligent approach is to eat these foods frequently.
Top anti-cancer compounds and their natural food sources:
- Epigallocatechin-3 (EGCG) – Green Tea, Apples, Blackberries, Carob.
- 6-Gingerol – Raw Ginger.
- Beta-Carotene – Carrot, Leafy Greens, Spinach, Sweet Potatoes, Yams, Broccoli, Winter Squash.
- Baicalein – Chinese Skullcap, Terminalia arjuna – Ayurvedic herb.
- Curcumin – Turmeric.
- Delphinidin – Blueberry, Raspberry, Cranberries, Grapes, Red wine.
- Genistein Flavonoids – Fermented Soy, Red Clover, Coffee, Chickpeas, Tempeh, Miso.
- Guggulsterone – Commiphora (myrrh tree) an Ayurvedic herb.
- Isothiocyanates – All Cruciferous veggies: Broccoli, Cauliflower, Kale, Turnips, Collards, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Kohlrabi, Rutabaga, Chinese Cab, Bok Choy, Horseradish, Radish, Watercress.
- Linalool – Mint, Coriander seeds.
- Lycopene – Grapefruit, Papaya, Asparagus, Mango, Carrot, Tomato.
- Parthenolide – Occurs naturally in the feverfew plant, Tanacetum parthenium.
- Perylill alcohol – Mint, Cherry, Lavender.
- Piperine – Black pepper.
- Placycodon saponin – Platycodon grandifloruim, a Chinese herb.
- Psoralidin – Figs.
- Quercetin – Capers, Onion, Apples, Peppers, Red wine, Dark cherries, blueberries, blackberries, Tomatoes, Cruciferous veggies: broccoli, cabbage and sprouts. Leafy green veggies: spinach, kale. Citrus fruits.
- Resveratrol – Red Grapes, Plums, Blueberries, Dark chocolate.
- Salinomycin – Streptomyces albus, Bacteria of the actinomycete family found in healthy soil.
- Silibinin – Milk Thistle.
- Ursolic acid – Thyme, Basil, Oregano, Apples, Bilberries, Cranberries, Elder Flower, Peppermint, Rosemary, Lavender, Oregano, Hawthorn, Prunes, Mirabilis jalapa (Aztec herb).
- Vitamin D3 – Sunlight, Sardines, Sockeye salmon, Egg Yolk, Beef, Cod liver oil.
- Ashwaganda – Withaferin A – Withania somnifera, an Ayurvedic herb called “Indian ginseng.
- Ziziphora – Ziziphora clinopodioides or Blue Mint Bush, a potent herbal tea used in the Middle East.
- Natural Products That Target Cancer Stem Cells. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26503998
- Anti-Cancer Diet: Which Foods Target Cancer Stem Cells?, http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/25-cancer-stem-cell-killing-foods-smarter-chemo-radiation
- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31272363/Natural Compounds Targeting Cancer Stem Cells: A Promising Resource for Chemotherapy