This is a fantastic crispy flat bread with a savory topping that’s great for vegans and anyone avoiding eggs. It’s something like a Focaccia Pizza, topped with my delicious Vegan Parmesan Cheese that tastes just like “Parmigiano Reggiano”. Chia seeds are a highly nutritious egg-substitute that creates a soft, pleasing texture in the bread. White chia seeds are available in most whole food groceries, and disappear in the the bread. Black chia seeds will make black spots, but it will taste just the same. Quick to make, you can eat Focaccia as a snack, a meal accompaniment, or serve as an appetizer. This is easiest with a food processor. Yield: 12-inch focaccia.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/4 plus 1/8 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 - 2 tablespoons crushed herbs (rosemary, basil, oregano, sage, tarragon, or thyme, or a mix)
- 2 tablespoons whole white chia seeds, stirred into 6 tablespoons water
- 3/4 teaspoons unprocessed salt
- 3/4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal or flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot powder
- 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
- Soak the whole chia seeds in water for 15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 400º. Get out a tray and either grease it, or put parchment paper on it.
- In a small bowl, stir together the olive oil, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, salt, garlic and herbs. Set aside.
- In a food processor, add wet ingredients: soaked chia seeds, salt, vinegar, and olive oil. Mix well until chia seeds are mostly liquefied.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in the food processor: almond meal, arrowroot, and baking soda. Mix well until a coherent dough forms, form it into a ball.
- Put the ball of dough on the baking pan and with your hands press it flat into 12-inch round or equivalent rectangle or square. The dough should be about 1/3 inch thick. Dimple it with your fingers if you wish.
- Pour the glaze over the dough and spread evenly. Top with whole rosemary leaves, if desired.
- Bake at 400 for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a rack. Cut into pieces and enjoy!