Even when you’re in a hurry, it’s always possible to enjoy a nourishing meal. Simply crack two eggs into a sliced avocado and bake. When you finish getting dressed and checking your messages, breakfast is ready. Wow, was this delicious!
Choose a large size avocado with a large seed and hole, so there’s room for the egg without spilling over. The best choice is a Hass avocado. Not a Pinkerton or Fuerte avocado – as they have very small seeds, i.e. small holes. You may need to hollow out the hole a bit with a spoon, so the egg doesn’t spill out. And if it does, it still tastes good. My solution was to use a small baking dish to hold the avocados stable. Garnish with green onions and optional bacon. Look for organic avocado and non-gmo bacon with no sugar. The avocado will soften when it bakes. Yummy! Serves one hungry person, or two light eaters.
- 2 eggs, small to medium size
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 slices bacon, diced (optional)
- 1 green onion, diced
- Unprocessed salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Slice the avocado in half.
- If necessary, scoop out each avocado hollow so it's about the size of the egg. Oh, and eat the scoopings! Place the avocados in a baking dish so they're level, stable, and they don't tip.
- Break two eggs carefully into the hollows. Suggest you poke the yolks with a knife to break them, so the egg will cook faster and more evenly.
- Bake until whites are set and yolks are still runny, about 10 to 12 minutes. If you prefer a hard cooked egg, bake about 15 -20 minutes. If your eggs or avocado are chilled, allow for a longer baking time.
- Fry 2 slices of chopped bacon, if using.
- Remove from oven. Garnish with green onion and bacon, if using. Enjoy!