I NEED my Golden Milk, and I NEED chocolate. So why not enjoy them together? Curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, is a powerful anti anti-inflammatory food that destroys many types of cancer cells. But curcumin is not easily absorbed in the body, and many people totally miss the health benefits. This recipe includes ALL the essential ingredients to help you to get the greatest benefits from your turmeric. Always make sure your Golden Milk is hot. It should contain some fat – such as MCT oil. It needs to include black pepper, and a high-quercetin ingredient to boost assimilation. For example cocoa is high in quercetin.
Essentially turmeric helps to heal and nourish the organs to keep the body systems functioning properly. Yep, turmeric just might just be a major resource in healing many modern chronic maladies that we see on the rise.
Medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) are fats that are more easily and rapidly digested than other fats. The best MCT’s come from coconut oil. MCTs are readily absorbed from the GI tract and metabolized very quickly by the liver, where they encourage the use of fat for energy rather than for weight gain. Popular with atheletes for quick energy, these triglycerides are quite unique in their chemical structure because they bypass the regular digestion, moving directly to the liver and into the blood. Instead of a spoonful of sugar, try a spoonful of MCT oil for quick energy! Find good quality coconut MCT oil from Garden of Life here.
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk. See my homemade nut milk recipe
- 1 cup hot water, or more coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon pure cocoa powder
- Healthy sweetener to taste such as 2 tablespoons Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or 1 teaspoon PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 1 tablespoon raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.
- 1-2 tablespoons MCT Oil. If you're new to MCT oil, start small and gradually add more to not upset your stomach.
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Dash of ground cinnamon
- Heat all ingredients in a saucepan until steamy but not boiling.
- Whiz with an immersion blender until frothy. Pour into a 16 oz mug. Enjoy!