Whip up a hazelnut hot chocolate and it will change your whole day. My love affair with hazelnuts has gone to new heights of expression. Everyone knows that hazelnuts, coconut milk, and chocolate are a special combination, rich and satisfying. Even better, this is a super-easy, high-nutrition snack.
The creamy, real-food taste of homemade nut milk is so superior to expensive store-bought carton beverages, you’ll never want to go back. Why do we pay more for imported chemical dilutions, when we can have the original flavor in minutes? Real coconut milk gives it a richer, creamier flavor. I prefer toasted hazelnuts, because they taste richer and sexier than raw ones. To soak and toast them, see All About Nuts. For a lasting energy boost, try adding your favorite protein powder per the variation at the bottom of the page. To make this you will need 5 minutes, any blender, a saucepan, a nut milk bag for straining hazelnuts, and two large mugs. Serves 2.
Blend hazelnuts in warm filtered water.
Pour the blended milk into a nut milk bag in a saucepan.
Squeeze out the liquid. Heat, stir in remaining ingredients, and drink.
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, soaked and toasted if possible for maximum flavor (See All About Nuts)
- 2 pinches unprocessed salt
- 2 cups warm filtered water (not boiling hot)
- 1 cup of the thickest creamiest coconut milk from the top of a can such as Native Forest organic Full-fat coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons sweetener such as Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or 1 1/2 teaspoons PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 2 tablespoons raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.
- 2 tablespoons pure cacao powder
- Dash vanilla
- Sprinkle cinnamon
- In any blender, add hazelnuts, salt and warm water. Blend well for about a minute. Stop to rest, and blend again for another a minute.
- Place a nut milk bag into a saucepan. Pour the milk into the bag. Lift the bag out and squeeze out all the liquid into the pan.
- Add coconut milk, sweetener, cacao, vanilla, and cinnamon. Whisk well to combine. Heat to boiling but do not boil. Pour into 2 mugs and enjoy!
- Stir in 1/4 cup of your favorite protein powder with the coconut milk.
No Replies to "Dairy-free Hazelnut Hot Chocolate, Mmm..."