Is it really possible to bake a pie with no pre-made crust? Yes it is! This is a delicious, gluten-free, quiche you can make in just one step. When it bakes, there’s a magical crust on the bottom, sides, and top. The crust is created by layering the ingredients: coconut butter, cooked meat, onions, veggies, and pour the batter on top. Then bake, and presto! Your delicious pie is ready.
Vary the recipe 1,000 ways – add your favorite veggies, leftover diced meat, and it always comes out yummy! Look for meats that are wild, pasture-raised, or GMO-free. This recipe is adapted from my Mom’s “Impossible Quiche”, her easiest breakfast, lunch or dinner stand-by, and a family favorite. The pie was popularized around 1850, when someone accidentally mixed the crust and filling and sparked a sensation. Crustless pies became the rage all over America, and were featured on the side of the Bisquick box. Instead of Bisquick, this Paleo version uses 100% unprocessed ingredients, such as almond meal and coconut butter. I love learning a few tricks from ALL my ancestors, both Paleolithic and recent. Serves 3-4.
- 1/3 cup coconut butter, crumbled
- 1/2 cup cooked meat (Such as 12 bacon strips, cooked, drained, and crumbled, or 3/4 cup diced, cooked chicken, turkey, ham, or salmon)
- 1/4 cup diced onion, spring onion, or leek (raw)
- 1/3 cup your favorite vegetable, such as zucchini, broccoli, spinach, carrot, mushrooms, green onion, coarsely grated or cut in small pieces, cooked or raw.
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 1 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk or your favorite alternative milk
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (for a rich cheese flavor)
- 1 tablespoons lemon or lime juice (for a sharp cheese flavor)
- Plenty ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Lightly grease a 10-inch pie plate. Flour with coconut flour or almond meal.
- Layer into the bottom of the pan in this order: coconut butter, cooked meat, diced onion, and vegetables.
- In a large mixing bowl or food processor, mix together the batter dry ingredients: almond meal, baking powder, salt, and coconut oil.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry mix: eggs, milk, yeast, lemon or lime juice, and pepper. Beat until very smooth.
- Pour the batter over the meat and vegetables in the pie plate.
- Bake 30 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool 15 minutes to allow it to set. Slice and serve.