Detoxifying and refreshing with a hint of sweet licorice, here’s a great use for those feathery fennel greens. High in anti-oxidants, vitamin-C, and bioflavonoids, fennel’s exotic flavor comes from the essential oil anethole, also found in anise and licorice. Fuji apples are pleasantly sweet, and relatively low in sugar, so this smoothie will be kind to your blood sugar. I suggest warm water in smoothies for quicker and smoother digestion, instead of fruit juices which are high in sugars and make the body more acidic. This recipe is super-flexible, so let your imagination go wild! Oh, and fresh ginger root is an yummy addition if you have it on hand. Any blender works fine if you run it a bit to liquefy those crisp fennel greens. A super-blender (BlendTec or VitaMix) is over-the-top great! This smoothie serves 1.
Smoothies are a great way to use fennel greens, for a sweet flavor with a hint of licorice.
- 1 cup lukewarm filtered water
- 1 fuji apple, in chunks
- 1 cup fennel tops, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of your favorite green powder
- 1/4 lemon or lime, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup of your favorite protein power
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground flaxseeds
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger root, chopped
- Put all ingredients into any blender and process well.
1 Reply to "Fuji Fennel Smoothie"
Portia July 8, 2021 (11:17 pm)
Oh my goodness, I have so much bronze fennel to use. Thank you!!!