I created these muffins as a high-protein breakfast for my friend Marion who is diabetic. She asked for a high-protein breakfast muffin. These taste just like carrot cake, however they’re extremely high in protein from pastured eggs, protein powder, and almond meal which is 27% protein! Like all my muffins these are low in carbs.
Goji berries, also called wolfberries, are a nutritional powerhouse, and a respectable source of protein. Goji berries have been used to treat diabetes, hypertension, and inflammation. Traditional Chinese medicine uses goji berries to fight depression, anxiety, and mood disorders. Like other berries, they’re a powerful source of antioxidants including beta-carotene. Goji berries offer plenty of vitamins and minerals such as: Vitamin C, Fiber, Iron, and Vitamin A. This recipe makes 18 muffins, or 1 1/2 regular muffin pans full. Enjoy!
- 4 large eggs at room temperature (220 grams out of shell)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 inches grated ginger root, or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Zest of one orange
- 1 cup (230 grams) raw carrot, scrubbed and cut in 1-inch chunks (If mixing by hand, grated)
- Optional: 1/3 cup sweetener to taste, such as Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener,.or 1/3 cup raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 1/4 cups almond meal or flour, or a little more if your batter is runny
- 1/2 cup your favorite protein powder.
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup chopped nuts, soaked and toasted if possible (See All About Nuts)
- 1/4 cup dry goji berries
- Heat oven to 350° F. Grease tins with coconut oil. Flour with coconut flour
- In a food processor or mixing bowl, add eggs, vanilla, vinegar, ginger, zest, carrot, sweetener, and oil. Process well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the almond meal, protein powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. Add to the wet ingredients in the processor and mix very briefly. Sweeten to taste. Pulse in the nuts and goji berries very briefly, if using. Pour into muffin tins.
- Bake mini-muffins 12 - 15 minutes, regular muffins 22 - 28 minutes.