If Grok could tell us his ideal breakfast, this would be it! (Grok is the mythical Paleolithic strong-man whose diet we’d like to mimic.) Primal Porridge is a whole-food, delicious meal for people on the go, much quicker than oatmeal, and infinitely higher in nutrients than any packaged cereal. The flavor is creamy, rich and sweet, with a pleasant texture. If you have 1 minute in the evening and 3 minutes in the morning, this high-protein, low-carb, breakfast will leave you feeling totally nourished. Instead of grains it uses nuts with alternative milk, low-sugar fruit, and a touch healthy sweetener from zero-carb, natural chicory root – Just Like Sugar Table Top. Or use your favorite sweetener. It is important to soak the nuts to activate them. Soaking and rinsing dissolves bitter coatings on nuts, making the nutrients more available and easier to digest. Read more about nuts. A food processor is best. A blender will work, however you’ll need to add a bit more hot water. Serves 2.
- 1 1/2 cups raw nuts. (I used 1/2 cup whole almonds, 1/2 cup pecan halves, and 1/2 cup walnut pieces)
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- Pinch unprocessed salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 2 -3 tablespoons sweetener such as Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener), or your favorite sweetener.
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup almost-hot filtered water
- 1 cup low-sugar fruit (Granny Smith apple, blueberries, raspberries, etc.)
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk (or other alternative milk)
- In a mixing bowl, soak nuts and flaxseeds in filtered water with a pinch of salt. Cover and let it sit overnight.
- Strain the nuts and seeds. Rinse well in a fine mesh strainer.. They should be slightly slimy.
- Put them in a food processor. Add cinnamon, vanilla, salt, and sweetener. Run the food processor 10 - 15 seconds while pouring almost-hot filtered water through the hole in the top. Do not over mix! Stop the processor and check the texture. How crunchy do you like your hot cereal? I like it slightly crunchy, but not liquefied mush.
- You can eat this porridge right now, and it is delicious. Or you can cook it briefly in a pan on the stove. To cook it, stir in 3 tablespoons more hot filtered water, bring to a boil, cover, and turn the heat down to simmer. Simmer for 1 minute (or more as desired). Then remove from heat.
- Pour into a cereal bowl. Pour alternative milk on top. Serve with fruit. Garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon. Yummy!