I adore the flavor of spicy adobo wraps! But where can you find one that’s healthy? These unique wraps are low-carb, low-sugar, gluten-free, and grain-free. Yep, they’re way better homemade, and it’s super easy! Make the tortillas, blend the adobo sauce, heat and serve. This recipe has the authentic sweet and spicy Latino flavor, but without the usual glycemic rush, so your blood sugar stays stable. For a genuine Latino adobo taste, look for chile molido, also called ground New Mexico chile. My favorite brand is by Los Chileros. Their Chile Chipotle Powder is made from smoked jalapeño peppers with no additives or sweeteners. It’s pretty hot, so you don’t need much. If you can prepare the Paleo Tortillas ahead and freeze, this recipe is a snap to make in minutes—just blend the sauce and pour over chicken pieces for a quick and satisfying meal. YIELD: 2 cups adobo sauce, serves three or four persons.
- 1 medium onion, in coarse chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, in chunks
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon unprocessed salt and some pepper
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sweetener to taste such as Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or Swerve sweetener, or 3/4 teaspoon PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 1 tablespoon raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.
- 1/2 teaspoon dried or fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried or fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- A pinch of ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon chile molido mild, or chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pure chile chipotle powder
- 1/2 pound cooked chicken meat, shredded or in 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 cup chopped greens, such as arugula, spinach, green onione, etc.
- In a small blender add onion, garlic, vinegar, salt, pepper, oil, sweetener, herbs, cumin, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, chile molido, and chipotle powder. Blend well until completely liquefied.
- Pour the sauce into a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken meat and heat to boiling. Place tortillas on a plate and add chopped greens, topping with chicken in adobo sauce. Serve!