OK, it’s a comfort food thing. I wanted to see if chicken soup with cauliflower rice would be as warm and satisfying as my Mom’s chicken & rice soup. And wow! It turned out truly delicious! It’s easy to do – just make the chicken soup and add riced cauliflower a few minutes before serving. This soup is super-nutritious and very low in carbs. Cauliflower adds a lovely flavor and thickness to the soup without any empty calories. Serves 6 with probable leftovers.
- 1 whole chicken, preferably organic pasture-raised
- 3 cups chicken broth, or more as needed. (I used Imagine Organic Chicken Broth, or you can make your own),
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 1/2 bunch celery, diced
- 4 green onions
- Unprocessed salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon sage, ground or fresh (or poultry seasoning)
- Herbs, such as basil, cilantro and/or parsley, diced
- I medium cauliflower
- Cut the chicken into pieces (or have them cut it for you in the store). Place chicken pieces in a large soup pot and add broth just barely enough to cover. Bring to a boil and then turn down to a low constant simmer. Add salt and pepper to taste. Simmer 1 hour or so until the chicken meat begins to fall away from the bones. Then remove the chicken from the pot onto a platter and allow it to cool.
- Add to the broth in the pot: garlic, onion, carrots, celery, green onions. Bring to a boil and simmer 15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the soup to a large platter and allow them to cool. When they’re cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the bones. Cut it into bite-size pieces and put the meat back into the soup. Add sage and herbs, or your favorite seasonings
- Rice the cauliflower in a food processor. I did it in 3 parts – it’s easiest when the processor is 1/3 full, not all the way up to the top. You can also grate cauliflower by hand.
- Add riced cauliflower to the soup. Season to taste. Simmer briefly to keep the cauliflower bits intact, not mushy. Serve!