I was craving a rich dark chocolate cake. An unquenchable desire for something strangely marvelous – delicious deep flavor, moist, highly nutritious, low in carbs, that would not raise blood sugar. Hmmm… There on the counter was an avocado, a bag of shredded coconut and some blueberries. Blueberries are high anti-oxidant, give it a deep dark color, and rich in pectin to help bind the cake together. It tastes yummilicious with my easy Chocolate Buttercream Frosting. Avocados are loaded with heart-healthy monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFA) and Vitamin K. They make the cake’s texture rich and moist. Hemp nuts add powerful nutrition – did you know that hemp nuts are almost one third protein?
This healthy cake is made without any flour. Hooray! Instead of flour it uses shredded coconut ground in the food processor with a granulated sweetener. I recently stopped eating flour, and my belly is getting smaller every day. Ha ha! Flour and water make glue in the small intestines that gets stuck – some doctors call it “mucoid placque”. (I didn’t mention that word!)
I baked this in a 9 x 5 loaf pan. However you could easily bake it two 8-inch round pans for a spectacular layer cake – a sure show-stopper for any special occasion!! Please follow both cake and frosting recipes carefully. These techniques are non-traditional and guaranteed fail-safe – only if you do it this way. Trust me on this! You’ll definitely need a food processor for both the cake and the frosting. A blender is helpful for the cake wet ingredients, to blend the blueberry skins. Don’t have a blender? No worries. A food processor works fine if you process really well. Go ahead and try it! Makes 1 9 x 5-inch loaf cake, or a double layer 8-inch cake.
This cake is unbelievably delectable with my easy Chocolate Buttercream Frosting!
- 2 cups healthy sweetener such as Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener. I mixed it with half Just Like Sugar Brown natural chicory root sweetener, or your favorite granulated sweetener.
- 1/3 cup hemp seeds
- 3 cups unsweetened shredded coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup pure cacao powder
- 1/2 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 cup ground black chia seeds (Measure 3 tablespoons whole chia, grind, and you'll have 1/4 cup)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Mt. Hagen organic decaffeinated coffee crystals
- 1 medium avocado
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 6 oz. blueberries, fresh (or frozen, thawed, and very well drained)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Zest of one orange, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- Have all ingredients at room temperature. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 x 5 loaf pan (or two 8-inch cake pans). Or line with parchment paper.
- Grind sweetener with hempseeds for 2 minutes until very fine. Add coconut, cacao, salt, soda, chia, cinnamon, and coffee powder. Grind well until very fine. Pour the dry ingredients out into a large mixing bowl.
- In any blender add avocado, eggs, blueberries, vinegar, and vanilla. Blend well until completely liquefied. Pour the wet ingredients into the mixing bowl with the dry ingredients, stirring thoroughly and quickly. Immediately pour into baking pans. Bake 9 x 5 loaf pan 45 – 55 minutes. Bake round cake pans 30 to 40 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool on a rack in the pans. When completely cool, remove from pan. This tastes absolutely amazing with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting.