Whether it’s a holiday treat, a special day, or just because you want to bake them, everyone will give a thumbs-up to Thumbprint cookies. These sweet, crunchy morsels will melt in your mouth. Thumbprint cookies are easy and fun for kids to make. They look and taste just like my Mom’s, however this Paleo adapted recipe is far more nutritious, free of gluten, grains, and sugars. My favorite filling is cranberry orange that’s a deep red color and will zing your taste buds into delirious joy! A squeeze bottle makes filling them super-easy to fill. Yield: about 36 cookies.
A squeeze bottle makes filling the cookies super-easy. I trimmed the squeeze tip to make the opening big enough for the chunky cranberry-orange filling.
These thumbprint cookies look and taste just like my Mom’s. However this Paleo-adapted recipe is free of gluten, grains, flour, sugar, and dairy.
- 8 ounces cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup sweetener such as Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or 4 teaspoons PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 1/3 cup raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.
- Zest of one orange
- Pulp of the orange, white pith removed with a knife, sliced, and seeded
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon agar flakes (or 1 teaspoon agar powder) to thicken.
- 2 large eggs (c 110 grams out of the shell)
- 1 cup sweetener such as Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or your favorite dry sweetener.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 1/2 cup coconut butter (or 113 grams if you're weighing it solid)
- 1/4 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- In a food processor, add the cranberries, sweetener, orange zest, and orange pulp. Process until the mixture becomes fairly liquefied, but still a bit like chunky jam.
- To thicken: In a small pan, whisk together 1/3 cup of the cranberry mixture with agar flakes or powder. Heat gently while stirring until the mixture bubbles for one minute. Then add it to the food processor and mix it in evenly but briefly. Place in a bowl or a squeeze bottle, and chill until the cookies are finished.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a food processor add eggs, sweetener, oil, vanilla, and almond extract, if using. Process well. Add coconut butter. Process until smooth.
- Add the salt and almond meal to the food processor. Mix well.
- Add the pecans last. Pulse gently to mix them in without grinding.
- Refrigerate the dough for 15 minutes. (I use the same container.)
- Make 1-inch balls with your hands (greased with coconut oil), and place them 1-inch apart on cookie sheets. Press a thumb or finger deeply into the center of each cookie to make room for the filling.
- Bake 15 to 18 minutes, until the bottom of the cookies is light brown.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely. Use a spoon or a kitchen squeeze bottle to fill the centers with cranberry "jam" Place the cookies on a serving plate and watch them disappear!
No Replies to "Paleo Thumbprint Cookies"