I used to love my Mom’s baked chicken parmesan because it was crispy, flavorful, and the whole house filled with delicious aromas. This easy recipe is Paleo-adapted, free of gluten, grains, dairy, and I promise you’ll love every bite. Instead of cheese, it uses lemon, coconut butter, nutritional yeast and Vitamin-C crystals. Try it – you’ll be amazed! I buy organic pasture-raised chicken because I like to make sure my chickens are healthy, getting quality non-gmo feed, and have room to walk around and eat bugs! I prefer to bake chicken parmesan in the oven so it is crispy, and it saves time over a hot stove. The best chicken parmesan is thickly breaded, crusted and browned on the top. This makes 8 pieces of luscious chicken parmesan. Serves 4.
- 2 pounds chicken legs and thighs, 8 pieces, organic pasture-raised.
- 1 egg
- 1 clove garlic
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 1 lemon, peeled, sliced and seeded
- 1/3 cup Coconut butter
- 1/4 teaspoon Vitamin-C crystals (for that sharp cheese flavor) Find it in the supplements section of any grocery.
- 1 cup almond meal or flour
- 1/3 cup arrowroot powder
- 3 tablespoons of your favorite herbs, fresh and finely diced, or dry (I used basil, oregano, thyme)
- 1/4 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- Black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In any blender, add the egg, garlic, olive oil, nutritional yeast, salt, lemon pulp, coconut butter, and optional Vitamin C crystals. Blend well until smooth, then pour into a medium mixing bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the almond meal, arrowroot powder, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Prepare a large baking try covered with parchment paper. Pat the chicken dry so the sauce adheres well. Dip each chicken piece in the thick sauce, and coat it on all sides. Wipe off any excess. Then drop it into the flour mix. Make sure each piece is well coated with flour, then place on the baking sheet. Repeat for all the chicken pieces.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Then turn the pieces over (quickly so they continue to bake), and bake another 15 minutes. Turn the pieces over again and finish baking another 10 minutes or until nicely browned on top. Serve hot.