Homemade sausage is easy, and far tastier than store-bought. It’s quick to mix ground meat with herbs and spices. Spoon it into a squash and bake, for one of the easiest meals in town. And yummiest! I used organic ground turkey. However grass-fed, grass-finished beef, bison, non-gmo chicken, or pork are also delicious. As a former fan of acorn and butternut squash, I found they’re harder to cut, peel, and the tough outer skin takes a long time to bake. Recently I discovered delicata squash. It has a rich, sweet flavor and a wonderful texture. Best of all, the skins are is so soft you can eat them! One-half delicata squash bakes quickly and is a beautiful individual serving. Try it! No equipment required. Serves 4.
- 2 delicata squash, cut in half lengthwise, and seeded
- 12 ounces ground turkey
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dehydrated onion flakes (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or diced
- 1/4 cup chopped herbs such as parsley, rosemary, sage, basil, chives, oregano, thyme, tarragon, cilantro, etc. Be creative!
- 1/2 teaspoon whole fennel seeds, crushed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon each of any of these spices: cumin, allspice, nutmeg, chili powder (all optional).
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add all the sausage ingredients and mix well. Go ahead and use your hands, but wash them first!
- Spoon the sausage into 4 delicata squash halves. Bake for 30 - 45 minutes, or until no longer red in the center. Garnish with chopped herbs and serve!
No Replies to "Sausage Stuffed Delicata Squash"