This is the most delicious way to cook okra. And the quickest – it takes just 10 minutes to prepare. Many people dislike okra’s slimy quality. But I recently found the most beautiful fresh okra in the market, and now my mind is changed forever. Okra offers so many unique health benefits: it helps heal intestinal walls, neutralizes acidic foods and eliminates toxins from the liver. The Lime Calypso Dip is sweet and pungent, with a slight spicy kick. This is a super-easy appetizer or side vegetable. No need to trim the okra, just brush it off. Always keep okra away from contact with the water or it can get slimy. And what’s best, you can eat these with your fingers! Serves 4 persons
- 1 lime
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 2 green onions
- 1/4 cup sweetener such as Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or 2 teaspoons PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 3 tablespoons raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.
- 1-inch fresh ginger or 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup Coconut butter
- 1 teaspoon live unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard (optional)
- 1/2 pound whole okra
- Peel the lime and add to any blender. Add water, green onions, sweetener, ginger, coconut butter, vinegar, garlic, salt, and cumin. Add mustard if using. Blend well. Pour into dipping bowl(s).
- Put 1/2 pound whole okra into any style steamer over a pan. Close the lid.
- Pour 1/2 cup water into the pan and bring to a boil. Make sure the okra doesn’t touch the water or it may become slimy. Steam the okra very briefly 4-6 minutes, checking frequently. Do not overcook, or it will be too soft. If you cook too little it will be raw.
- Remove from heat when okra is a bright green color, tender and "al dente". Place into a serving bowl. Serve with the sauce on the side. Eat with your fingers!