This luscious stir-fry will blow you away! It’s easy to make, with a delicate Asian flavor, and one of my most flexible recipes. If you slice your veggies beforehand, it’s is a quick 10-minute nutritious meal. Try it with my recipe for Nutty Cauliflower Rice! Meat is optional.
Cruciferous veggies will make you strong! Their family includes Broccoli, Cauliflower, Bok choy, Cabbage, Collard greens, Brussels sprouts, Kale, Turnips, Watercress, Daikon, Radish, Arugula, Rutabaga, and Kohlrabi, all extremely healthy and delicious. Pick your favorites and try this recipe!
Today I made it for color, with broccoli, carrot, tomato, carrot, mushrooms, red onion, cauliflower, and green onions.
There are a hundred ways to vary the basic recipe, depending on what cruciferous veggies you choose. Toasted sesame oil adds a distinctive Asian flavor, however since is very delicate with a low smoke point, it should be added only at the very end. (That’s why I never sauté with sesame oil.) I added red bell pepper in the photo, but did not list it in the recipe as I’m sensitive to nightshades. If you tolerate them, add 1/2 thinly sliced red bell pepper for a beautiful color! Serve with Nutty Cauliflower Rice. Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2-inches ginger root, diced
- 2 carrots, scrubbed and sliced diagonally
- 3 cups your favorite cruciferous veggies, sliced
- 1 dozen shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 12 ounces cooked non-GMO meat such as chicken, turkey, beef, or wild fish (Omit for vegan option)
- 1/4 cup broth or filtered water
- 4 tablespoons liquid coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon unprocessed salt to taste, and plenty of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon optional sweetener such as Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or 1/2 teaspoon PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 2 teaspoons raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot flour or tapioca flour to thicken
- Garnish: 2 green onions, chopped
- Heat coconut oil in a saute pan over medium high heat. Add garlic ginger, and sauté briefly. Add carrot and sauté 2 minutes. Add cruciferous veggies and mushrooms one at a time, starting with the firmest that need more cooking. Sauté each one about 1 minute. Stir-fry with a wooden spatula quickly until the vegetables barely begin to soften. Keep the them al-dente and crunchy. Stir in green onions, and optional meat.
- As the stir-fry is cooking, quickly make the sauce. In a small bowl, whisk together broth, coconut aminos, sesame oil, salt, sweetener, and arrowroot or tapioca. Pour over the hot veggies and stir them until the flour thickens and coats the stir-fry evenly with the flavorful sauce. Add a few tablespoons water to the pan if it gets too dry.
- Serve immediately with Nutty Cauliflower Rice!