I confess, it took me 8 tries to make a vegan quiche worthy of sharing with you. This Paleo-vegan recipe has a wonderful flavor and just the right consistency. The texture is similar to traditional quiche – except it’s egg-free! Instead of eggs, blended cashews, coconut, and grain-free flour bind it together. Super-easy to make, it tastes divine, and there’s no crust to worry about. It makes a nourishing breakfast, lunch, dinner, or snack that’s chock full of vegetables. Use your favorite veggies – I used carrots, zucchini, olives, and peas that were on hand. I added low-carb almond meal as a binder, however you can substitute fava bean flour or arrowroot flour, depending on your dietary preference. Enjoy this quiche hot, lukewarm, or cold. Store leftovers in the refrigerator up to 4 days. Or freeze individual portions in a sealed container up to 3 months. This recipe makes one 10-inch quiche to serve 8. You can also bake it in well-greased and floured muffin tins or mini-muffin tins.
Sauté the veggies to evaporate the moisture. Brightly colored veggies are pretty. I used carrots, onion, olives, zucchini, and peas.
Pour the blended filling over the veggies in the pie pan.
Stir the veggies gently to distribute them evenly in the filling.
Fresh out of the oven.
This is my lunch today.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 large carrot, coarsely grated
- 1 medium zucchini, coarsely grated
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup green peas
- 2 tablespoons olives
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped oregano, basil, or parsley (1 tablespoon dry)
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked 1 hour or more in
- 1 can (1 3/4 cups) thick coconut milk such as Native Forest organic Full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional, for a cheese flavor)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 heaping teaspoon unprocessed salt or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup softened coconut butter, or 75 grams if hard. (To soften, place the container in a bowl of warm water)
- 1/2 cup almond meal (or 1/3 cup fava bean flour, or 1/4 cup arrowroot flour, depending on your dietary requirements)
- 1 tablespoon red palm oil (optional for a beautiful yellow color)
- In a medium non-stick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the veggies, salt them lightly, and sauté uncovered, stirring occasionally until soft, about 10 minutes. There's no need to overcook them - the idea is to evaporate the liquid in the veggies, so they don’t make the quiche soggy.
- In any blender or food processor, process the cashews and coconut milk until smooth, creamy, and there are no lumps. Add the remaining filling ingredients and blend well until very smooth.
- To prevent sticking, grease a large 9 or 10-inch pie pan with olive oil or coconut oil, and flour it with coconut flour or almond meal. Spread the sautéed veggies evenly in the bottom of the pan. Pour the filling on top, and stir the surface gently without disturbing the very bottom, so the veggies are evenly distributed through the filling. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until firm on the top. Cool 10 to 30 minutes. Enjoy hot, or allow it to cool to lukewarm, or chill to eat cold.