Authentic Egg Drop Soup is hard to find, and so quick to make at home! In most restaurants, it will contain gluten, MSG, preservatives, GMO soy, and GMO cornstarch. How healthy is that? Here’s a delicious traditional high-fiber recipe that you can make in minutes, with all natural (and Paleo) ingredients. Make it Vegan, or add meat, chicken, or shrimp.
Traditional ingredients might include peas, chard, and seaweed. My favorite seaweeds are Hijiki and Wakame, as they add rich flavor and nutrition. Veggies and seaweed are high in healthy fiber. Use any broth you like. If you’re buying the broth, check to make sure it’s free of sugars and GMO’s.
This soup is a great appetizer, lunch, or dinner, I love it because it’s a satisfying meal I can enjoy in 10 minutes flat. Serves 4.
- 1 tablespoon dried hijiki or wakame seaweed, soaked 5 minutes in 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder, stirred into 1/4 cup cold filtered water or broth.
- 1 1/4 cups of any mushrooms, thinly sliced (button, crimini, straw, enoki, shitaki or maitake)
- 4 cups of filtered water, organic vegetable broth or chicken broth.
- 1 cube organic bouillon -optional
- 1/2 cup raw chicken, diced in 1/2-inch pieces - optional
- 1/2 cup carrot – cut into pea-sized cubes
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
- Salt and pepper to taste- it takes quite a lot of salt.
- 1/4 teaspoon toasted carob powder –optional for darker color (it doesn’t change the taste)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup fresh chives - optional
- 3 green onions, diced
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- Get out 3 small bowls. In #1, soak seaweed in filtered water. In #2 stir arrowroot into water. In #3, whisk eggs together briskly.
- In a quart saucepan, sauté the mushrooms in 1 tablespoon coconut oil over medium heat about 1 minute until slightly soft.
- Add stock or water to the pan. Add optional raw chicken and bring to a boil. Then turn down to a slowly bubbling simmer for 3 minutes. While it is cooking add the ginger, salt & pepper, and carob powder.
- Add bowl #1 seaweed to the soup. Then add bowl #2 arrowroot to the soup, stirring well to thicken.
- Remove the pan from heat. Add sesame oil.
- While stirring the soup in a circular motion, add the whisked eggs and stir just once. They will turn into delicate ribbons.
- Pour immediately into serving bowls . Garnish with diced chives or green onion.
1 Reply to "High-Fiber Egg Drop Soup with Seaweed"
Michelle Walrath May 13, 2022 (8:28 am)
This sounds amazing can’t wait to try. The health benefits of seaweed and mushroom make this an anti aging soup too :)!!!!