Unbelievably easy and decadently wonderful, this chocolate pudding is instant! It’s made with blended sweet potato and cacao. Children and adults love the rich flavor, reminiscent of a Southern chocolate sweet potato pie. Mmmmmm! A quick and healthy snack or dessert, no one would guess they’re eating vegetables! Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of beta-carotene and Vitamin A, an important antioxidant. They’re high in Vitamin B6, which is critical in preventing hardening of the arteries. Sweet potatoes also contain healthy fiber, which gives them a “slow burning” quality. If you use one of the suggested zero-glycemic sweeteners, you’ll have no rise in blood sugar. This means kids won’t be running around all sugar spiked and crazy. Orange zest gives it a Caribbean twist, and is optional. This pudding tastes great with Instant Coconut Whipped Cream on top. Or toasted nuts. Or plain. Find many more amazing healthy sweets in my new cookbook Paleo Desserts! Serves 2
- 1 medium sweet potato, cooked, c 360 grams
- Sweetener to taste such as 1/2 cup Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or 4 teaspoons PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 1/3 cup raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted (place the jar in a pan of hot water to melt)
- 1/4 cup pure unsweetened cacao powder
- Zest of 1/2 orange (optional) (a micro-plane grater is easiest)
- Top with Instant Coconut Whipped Cream
- Place the coconut oil jar in a pan or sink of hot water to liquefy.
- Peel and cube the sweet potato. Place it in a small pan with 1/2 inch water, and bring it to a boil. Turn it down to medium simmer and cook for 5 minutes or until the sweet potato is soft when pierced with a fork. Drain well. It should be still warm, not boiling hot.
- In any blender add the warm sweet potato, sweetener, vanilla, oil, and optional orange zest. Blend until smooth and creamy. Add cacao powder last and blend. That’s it! This blended easily in my blender. If it is too thick in yours, add 1 or 2 tablespoons hot filtered water, a minimum amount to blend.
- Pour into dessert cups and enjoy immediately. Or chill to thicken more.
- Instant Coconut Whipped Creme or a sprinkle of toasted nuts (optional)