Who wants a hot baked sweet potato slathered with Coconut Sour Cream and bacon? Today I felt an irrepressible craving for comfort food that makes me feel warm, safe and loved! Luscious trimmings, such as dairy-free Coconut Sour Cream, green onions, bacon, and melted ghee, made it the perfect sinfully delicious treat I wanted. Real food always tastes better, and I love authentic flavors straight from Nature. Sweet potato is easy to bake! Just poke holes in a raw potato with a fork, slather with oil and salt. Bake for 45 minutes while your house fills with its rich aroma. Cut in half, add trimmings and eat.
As a meal, side dish, or a snack, this is way tastier than processed sweet potato chips, far more economical, and loaded with healthy nutrients. Sweet potato’s orange color is from the anti-oxidant beta-carotene. An important nutrient for the eyes, beta-carotene also helps ward off free radicals which oxidize cells, accelerate aging, and make the body vulnerable to chronic disease. Beta-carotene supports the immune system, and lowers risk of heart disease and cancer. For health and better flavor, look for non-GMO or organic bacon. If you use organic sweet potato, you can eat the tender baked skin – tasty and highly nutritious! I used 1 medium sweet potato cut in half for 2 people. Or you can go all the way and use 1 whole sweet potato per person. Yum!
- 1 medium to large raw sweet potato, whole
- 1 teaspoon coconut or olive oil
- pinch unprocessed salt
- 1 green onion chopped, or handful chives
- 2 strips bacon, cut in 1/2-inch squares, fried until crisp (optional)
- 1 tablespoon grass-fed ghee (optional)
- Follow the recipe for Coconut Sour Cream and chill to stiffen. (Optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375º F. Wash and scrub the sweet potato. Dry it off a bit, rub with oil, and sprinkle with salt. Place on a parchment-covered tray and bake until tender, about 45 minutes.
- While it bakes, cook the bacon, chop the green onions.
- Remove potato from oven and in half. Slather generously with Coconut Sour Cream, sliced green onions, and bacon. You can also add grass-fed ghee, if it pleases you.
- Enjoy the sensually delicious flavors!