Traditional caramel sauce is creamy, dreamy, and oh so thick, with heavy cream, caramelized sugar, and butter. But dairy and sugar are OFF the Paleo diet. So the challenge was HOW to make it Paleo? Oh boy! This Paleo adaptation takes just 5 minutes, and it tastes just as dreamy and creamy as I remember – something like salted caramel. Yum! The good thing is, if you use one of the zero-carb sweeteners, it won’t give you a big blood sugar rush. The sauce tastes mouthwatering on Squash Pancakes or ice cream. Try it on Apple Fritters and Pumpkin Flax Muffins. Well, OK it’s delicious on everything! Find even more Paleo Desserts at my website PaleoDesserts.com! Makes 1 1/4 cups.
- 1 cup sweetener to taste, such as Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or Just Like Sugar Brown, or 2 1/2 tablespoons PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 2/3 cup raw honey, or your favorite sweetener. (For a rich caramel flavor, I suggest half brown sweetener.)
- 1/8 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk or nut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon maple flavor
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the sweetener, salt and arrowroot.
- Add milk and stir over medium heat until the sweetener dissolves.
- Add vanilla, maple, and coconut oil. Heat to boiling for a brief moment, then immediately turn way down to simmer, stirring constantly. The arrowroot will begin to thicken in about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour into a small serving pitcher or bowl. Allow it to cool and it will thicken a bit more. Enjoy!